Friday, March 13, 2020

Talk freekah to me

Guess what you are not going to read about here? Not today!

Good things:

Lean In paid tribute to a trans activist on their Instagram for women's history (herstory) month. That made me smile.


My girl Agnes Pelton getting the respect she deserves in the New York Times, and I did get the new Art Forum with her on the cover at News Beat, and even got to go with Mr. Charles Albright, which was an unexpected treat. Makes me think about the Gorilla Girls work "the advantages of being a woman artist" that says "your career will pick up after you're 80". Well, for Agnes it took until after she was long dead, but hey, better late than never, right!?

And, there's an Israeli restaurant on Fulton I'm SUPER EXCITED about. Learn more after the jump


First of all, it's called Basha which is hilarious to me as it's my mom's name
It's fancy, right?
Ready to have your mind blown? It's the old Marrakesh. Feel old yet?? The back room is still Marrakesh style, with couches and he kept the kitschy stained glass.
They start you with a bunch of free, warm bread. Do Israelis call it pita? Too lazy to google. It's oilier, more like pita/foccacia.
They give you olive oil and zataar (one of the all-time great spice mixes) for dippin'. You know, back in the days (Tuesday night) when we still shared food communally? But I said I wasn't going to talk about that. Salty green olives come with, too.

Boom! Look at that! That right there is (I think) 14 bucks worth of food. With more bread. Or maybe 26, not sure. They offer different mezze price tiers for lunch and dinner, but they asked us which we wanted with dinner and we said the lunch one. I didn't look in detail at the bill.
Ha, still experimenting with portrait mode on the new phone, don't quite understand when to use it. The stuff on the right was a beet spread that was tang-mazing. Also, a couple of slaws.
Very homey freekeh soup with pieces of chicken and a lemon to squeeze in
Kibbeh-type beef over eggplant and tomato. The beef was too salty, this would have been better as a veg dish.
A mother-of-pearl torah is proudly displayed. Israeli pop was blasting from the kitchen. I freekeh love this place!

4 comments:

beckler said...

I think the bread might be called laffa? It's not pita cuz no pocket

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we got to check this place out! Also, I warmed the bread up today and ate it with the last of the leftover mezze, and it was still delicious three days later.

DKK

Anonymous said...

It's all Palestinian food and the mother of pearl is a traditional Palestinian art form that happens to be a Quranic verse. It's in Arabic. Palestinian food is really amazing.

beckler said...

Ah, I see. Thanks for educating me. I hope to write about them sometime and learn more.