Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Do I like The Master

 Short take: ew, no

Longer take: I watched it maybe 3 weeks ago and then I went to LA and work has been busy so I have not been able to write about it. But I must continue because Licorice Pizza whilst be anon soon, as it has already been open for weeks in actual cities.

While I marinate on the Licorice Pizza trailer which I've seen at least 3 times while seeing movies in the theater, Spotify wrapped has revealed to me that both my #1 and #5 songs from 2021 were from Haim, so I guess I am a Haim fan but I'm not even sure I like them. Anyway, Alana Haim stars in Licorice Pizza.

When I first saw The Master (in a theater) The Joker movie did not exist, which I'm sure made Joaquin Phoenix easier to take in The Master. He is a skeletally thin and hunched alcoholic in The Master. He is utterly repellent (meant to be) but my hatred for The Joker made it so I just could not stand the character. And did not buy that he would be relatively attractive to women, although I guess because he's tall, dark and unhinged (and hates women) that might be attractive to some.

The Master had mostly faded from my memory, with the only thing remaining being the Amy Adams weird handjob and the pseudo-Scientology "auditing" scenes. 

What is it saying? What is the point? PSH plays an L Ron Hubbard daddy type, I guess he bonds with Joaquin Phoenix over their shared alcoholism, although PSH keeps his mostly under control. Watching folks pour effort and feelings into Joaquin's empty vessel of a person I just did not buy it, why would they latch onto this person for anything? I'm sure this cult would take any converts, but they elevate him to a prominent position and it's hard to understand what they see in him. 

There's a parallel to Punch Drunk Love and TWBB in the sudden bursts of violence that come out of these protagonists. 

Really did not like this on rewatch.

No comments: