Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pierlioni watch

first, a show alert....

Just to let everyone know, there has been a last minute show scheduled at the Turtle House (217 2nd street, Davis) for tomorrow, Sept 6th. The following are playing..And The Sorcerer's Stoned (with Jon Bafus);Spider Friends myspace.com/spiderfriends;The Old Haunts (Tobi Vail of Bikini Kill is drumming) myspace.com/theoldhauntsThe show will be starting at 7PM and ending by 10PM. Come check it out!-Audry (DJ Kiwi)

Tobi Vail is pretty much the coolest chick around and deserves our respect as a founding father of Riot Grrrrrl, so you know I'll be there!

AP reviewed ANOTHER chain restaurant...a BBQ restaurant!! Snore. I am sick of the fetishization of pizza, burgers, and BBQ in food reviewing. There, I said it.

Sweet! SIX "American bistros" are opening in Sac this fall. Do you think they will offer upscale pizzas, burgers and BBQ? Again, can someone PLEASE open a French brasserie rather than a bistro? I promise you can still have a burger on the menu if you want. Do I have to open one in my house? I have some Edith Piaf records and bottles of affordable French wine, maybe I can do it. Can we have some food downtown from other cultures that's not motherfucking sushi? Out of nine restaurants listed in this article as opening soon (I'm not counting Vientiane, although it's nice he mentioned it), 6 are American Bistros (which will all be pricy), one is a pizza place, and one is a sushi place. That's cool that Turkish restaurant is opening, too bad it's in Rocklin.

I had another in a very long string of excellent dinners at Pho Bac Hoa Viet the other day (I swear the pho broth was even more flavorful and aromatic than usual) and I noted from a flyer at the front desk that Pho Bac is opening a branch at Jackson Rancheria. Good for them.

Does anyone out there eat at Tapa the World anymore? We went there last night simply because it was still open at like 9:45 and it was fun. Certainly not spectacular. They really need to update their menu, but if you know to stay away from the few dishes that all have the same butter-and-practically-raw-garlic sauce (the mushrooms, the shrimp), some of the tapas are good. The bread basket is excellent, the boquerones were top notch, and despite some gristle, the pork skewers were really juicy and well flavored with chili powder. The live Spanish guitar was pretty earsplitting, though.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time "earsplitting" & "Spanish guitar" were in the same sentence.

-miller

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of rooting for Tuli's, seeing as how I live right next to it, and it sure as effin can't be any worse than Daphnes. It's like Daphens dangles the idea of greek food in my face and then serves me seasoned steak cut fries. Really. It's great. So how bad could Tuli's seafood po'boy really be? Besides, from what I can see, nobody has bought any of the condos above the restaurant, and all the other buildings on my street are being converted to offices so it will just be me and that one fool who lives above Safeway eating in there.
jana.

wburg said...

SIX!
SIX SIX!
THE NUMBER OF THE BISTRO!

If La Bonne Soupe can serve "Le Hotdog" then I suppose a hamburger is not a big stretch.

I, too, am waiting for Tuli, although I'm probably too damn cheap to eat there very much. And I'm actively hoping to encourage the fetishization of pizza in this town.

Liv Moe said...

I too am glad that Tuli is still happening. I wondered what was up when I didn't see the sign outside anymore. I met the guy who is opening it and he's not much older than most of us. He said he's gonna make the menu as affordable as possible but we'll see what that means.

I wish there was a place in town where you could find a croque monsieur or madame. It's not like it's a hard thing to make.

Speaking of easy to make... I'm still reeling from the lack of tremezzini at Gianni's. I checked out the menu and it just seems like another over priced Italian restaurant, which I don't get because most Italian food is fairly inexpensive to make. Thanks for nuthin'.

Anonymous said...

You should check out Plan B if you haven't already. Crappy location, but good French bistro.

beckler said...

oh yeah, I forgot about that place. I do want to go there. It's in greenhaven, eh?

Anonymous said...

I still love tapas. Excellent Sangria ! The food is not amazing, but pretty good and I also enjoy the atmosphere. Amen to the French brasserie.. what a treat that would be after passing about 20 unappealing BBQ restaurants down Folsom blvd. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, The Flats and friends are having a garage sale on Saturday at Creepy Old Man Miller's house. That is at the corner of 23rd and N. 8 am.

If you know anything about these guys then you know that there will probably be a lot of vintage items. I am bringing a few kitschy things like an Alf TV tray and a stable of thermoses (thermosi?)

gbomb

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go with thermii.

-uncreepy old man smiller

fft said...

AP defines "aioli" in a parenthetical in today's (Friday) review of Cafe Rolle.

I like William and Cafe Rolle a lot, but do you think AP could have done more than just recycle old Cafe Rolle reviews? Hell, they even used a photo from '03.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't you just be 'Young Man Miller'? And is it my imagination or do all your shirts come from Miller's Outpost?

Liv Moe said...

Would thermii be pronounced therm-"ee" or therm-"i."

Anonymous said...

"i"

-middle aged man miller

Anonymous said...

I too am pulling for Tuli. I was a class mate of Adam Pechal the chef/owner for a few years. And that would make him about 31/32 years old. He has been giving away free food at the second Saturdays for a while.