Tuesday, November 17, 2009

putting the "fun" back in "funicular"

OK, Guanajuato. Here's the thing-a few people have raved to me about this city. It's around 5 hours away from Mexico City, a pretty loooonnnggg trip when you are watching "What Happens In Vegas" in Spanish. It is CRAMMED with tourists. Mostly Mexican tourists. I didn't expect this for some reason. The streets are very narrow, and most businesses cater to the tourists, selling souvenirs, shoes, crap like that. There is relentless traffic from all the tourists, and the exhaust is overwhelming and gave me a headache when I walked anywhere. So even though it's very cute and picturesque, we left a day earlier than we had originally planned.
These charro beans were wayyy better than the ones in Mexico City. This was a great meal.
It came from this place. That means "The Wagon" You can see they fire roast the chickens.
I ate a horrible torta at this place, La Pulga, but there were pictures up of foxy Ricky Martin from when he ate there.
See? Picturesque.
Here's the university
We walked up in the hills to the mummy museum. That was the most fun part, especially since most tourists take a cab so it was just regular streets. I think this lady was selling homeopathic cures for all the problems listed below.
We came upon four weinerdogs living in a mini-dump! So sad. They just yapped at us.
The mummy museum. There is a fine line between "displaying" and "graverobbing" and this museum crossed it. Still it was cool. I will not include the pictures of the baby mummies because they might damage some tender sensibilities (email me if you want to see them).
Hey this guy needs some manscaping! (smiller hates people putting "man" in front of any term, it fills him with man-rage)

Wow, look at these mummies! I wonder how old they are? Only carbon dating will tell.

Ah, fuck you blogger, what are you doing? Anyway, I just erased on of my photos. There is a big cemetery in town and Day of the Dead had just passed. It was a picture of decorated graves. Some of the markers were extremely humble, such as the one below.



This was one of the best breakfasts I had. It was in a food court off one of the plazas. Chilaquiles.
There's a funicular to take you above the town.
This statue is up there.
See, funicular.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning, put on my man-pants, my man-shirt, my man-shoes & my man-jacket. Then I got on my man-bike & went to my man-job.

-miller

Anonymous said...

sounds like you manned-up

Charles Albright said...

Man.

Charles

Anonymous said...

Jay also just announced a hatred of the man-fix the other day.
Threw a bit of a mantrum about it.

-natalie.

Anonymous said...

Those mummies ain't shit without Brendan Fraser.

-Roger Ebert

Snufkin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snufkin said...

I was in Oaxaca during Dia de los Muertos and the cockscomb/marigold flower combination they use to decorate the graves is so beautiful.

Also besides the ritual and decoration, I loved how people set up carnivals and food stalls in the area right outside of the cemetary gates. That way people can buy their deceased loved ones favorite foods, like chiliquilies. Or play Midway shooting at Vicente Fernandez or Los Tigres del Norte.

DJ Rick said...

Let Smiller build a mancave in the basement and see if it doesn't become his favorite cave.

beckler said...

He has three mancaves in our house. A record room, a Grateful Dead listening room, and a beer storage room/practice space.

DJ Rick said...

Well, no wonder he hates "man-" as a prefix.....it's all that guilt!

Anonymous said...

Seeing as how I'm only allowed in the bedroom after 10:00 PM, I had to do something!

-miller