Friday, December 13, 2019

Guadalajara is cool, part 2: the day of good grub

I had read that due to the mining industry in Jalisco, Guadalajara has Paste shops, which are the Mexican take on Cornish pasties!! Since Smiller is Welsh we like to think of them as Welsh pasties and he was intrigued. Turns out that they make an awesome breakfast and they are about a dollar each. Want to see? After the jump


 Here's some stunning location photography. This is Pastes Mineria (I think that's miner's pasties) and it's a chain. Check the website to see all the intriguing flavors.
 They are all flaky and greasy
 This is mole rojo with chicken
I was in heaven with this one: arroz con leche with pecans! Rice pudding in a croissant (basically). Yes please!!

Fortified with lots of fat and sugar, we started our walk of about a mile from the Americana neighborhood to the huge central plaza where all the museums and government buildings are. But on the way we smelled something delicious and then spotted a big flag on the sidewalk that said "birria". So now it was time for....breakfast #2!!! Honestly these 2 breakfasts combined to be maybe the greatest breakfast of my life
 This place was all about goats. Goats, goats, GOATS.
 Makes sense, because this birria de chivo was the G.O.A.T.
 Well, it's all about Jesus and Goats. Jesus take the wheel of this birria cart.
 Here's the wife (presumably) of the big guy who runs the place. She is making corn tortillas to go with my birria. I was also very happy with this visit because I probably did my best job communicating with the owner in Spanish of the trip. Including that I love goat and where we were from. Hey, it's something!

Gotta go to a meeting, so I'll post this and show you some rad museum stuff next week.

1 comment:

jeffrey day said...

Becky...i'm buying that ticket ASAP!