Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Yes, still in Oaxaca! and still eating

 La Biznaga is a fancy place in Oaxaca and I must admit I was pretty skeptical about it but it turned out to be one of my favorite places I ate. We had dinner there and it was dim, so I borrowed this picture of their smoked marlin tostadas from this blog. More Biznags after the jump

 These were wheat cones filled with dried hibiscus and chipotle.
 Here's the inside. They have one of those cool-ass ceiba trees. Remember that good one on 21st street? It blew over, right? It's open to the air but they have a roof they can (what's the opposite of retract? tract?) if it rains or is too cold. It is hella good.
 There are lots of hamburger and hot dog stands open at night, but NM told me the Jiminy Cricket one was the way to go, so after one night of fruitless searching I finally found it. There were lot of pots of homemade sauces
This burger has pineapple and baloney on it and me and Scott scarfed it in about 6 seconds.

Next morning we went to Mercado Benito Juarez for breakfast
 We picked a random booth that looked popular. There were tens of them. Of course in this kind of situation where you can only go once you always feel like you picked the wrong one!
 Instead of making a tlayuda to order, the have the base stacked up there on the left, then you pick the meat. Pork, chorizo or beef, they also had chicken but not out displayed.
 I got a Oaxacan chocolate with a water base, which comes with the pan de cazuela. Is really a breakfast in itself.
 Then I couldn't resist trying a Oaxacan tamale, because I wasn't sure exactly what it was. It was really small. About four bites.
 It was wrapped in banana leaves rather than corn husks, and was super moist and oily and black! The mole had soaked through all parts. Man, I wish I was eating this right now as a snack.
 Then I also got a tlayuda with beef.
Another market view. It was definitely all business, cheap and fast.

1 comment:

Lawrence Bishop said...

Hello mate nice bllog