Friday, July 30, 2004

sports=bad arts=good

Roger Ebert's review of The Village is hilarious! http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-village30f.html I can't wait to see it! It sounds so freakin' dumb! I already thought that director was way too stuck in having the Big Plot Twist. He's such a one trick pony. And he's so pretentious about it. He is to directing what Davis Blaine is to magic. But I love David Blaine, too.

The News and Review has an editorial about the arena today, and I think they went too far. They're losing their sense of judgement on this issue. I have to admit that I may be heading towards the center a little bit about the arena. Voison's column about the economics of having a sports team swayed me a bit. I could actually see that it might be true that the Maloofs are not really making much money on the Kings. That doesn't mean I want to hand them a spangly new arena, but I would maybe agree for some public funds to do it on the cheap in North Natomas.

Anyway, first thing off the news and review refer to arco as "serviceable". And I have been saying this all along, too. But, according to Voison, it's the second oldest arena still in use in the country and more importantly, she said the Maloofs tried to see if it could just be remodeled and were told that this wasn't possible. So I guess this is their bad for building it cheaply, but because I wasn't paying attention around the time Arco was built, I don't know why that decision was made so I can't really comment on that. Then they talk about how a riverfront site is being considered and make a snide comment about a "monotlithic structure blocking our view". But this is before they've seen any plans for it (those plans don't exist yet, but I'm sure some architect's sketches will have to be made before the vote happens if the city does decide to go for a riverfront site). I guess what bothers me about this editorial is its frantic tone. It doesn't present a logical argument or counter-proposal, it just hurls vitriole in every direction. This bothers me for the same reason that a lot of the programming on Air America (mostly Randi Rhodes) bothers me. I like to think I think about things in a nuanced and analytical way, and I don't like this kind of black-and-white, evil-and-good thinking. It stirs things up and makes good copy, but I can't stand when liberals resort to the same kind of looseness with the facts that conservatives use to deceive people.


No comments: