Tuesday, March 08, 2005

El Amigo? No!

This weather is hecka tight. First day in I don't know how long that I haven't worn any jacket or sweatshirt or anything to work. Speaking of jackets, guess what's not hecka tight? The movie the Jacket. My first clue was that they couldn't think of any title scarier than the Jacket. This movie is a piece of shit.

I ate at a restaurant called El Amigo last night right next to Corti Bros. Mike begged me not to savage the place in print. I'm sure the owners are nice and all that, so I won't. Let's just say that El Amigo is not your friend. Speaking of Corti's, does anyone else agree with me that their specialty sandwiches (the kind with names like "michelangelo" where the ingredients are all picked out for you) are not that good? Am I just ordering the wrong ones? Why do I keep getting tricked again and again? The eggplant one is good, but they were out of that so I got a crappy one.

I guess Doug Christie is back and OK. I was getting worried. I was about to call Jackie and make sure he wasn't slitting his wrists or something. To add insult to injury, there's an article in the Bee today about how great it was to trade Christie. And how it is suddenly looking like it was a good move to trade Webber for....what again? just because he is not getting along in Phillie. But he was getting along here, so how does that make sense?

7 comments:

Alice said...

I've eaten at El Amigo before. I appreciate the fact that it looks like a pub transformed into a Mexican restaurant. But the food was really greasy. I prefer that place further down Folsom with the soccer ball sign. I can't remember what it's called. Anyone?

Anonymous said...

Corti Bros is only your friend when you're not in the mood to be swept up by it. Sometimes I'll be there & think "look at all this quality stuff!" but really, while they definitely know good food & wine, it's absurd that someone would do all their shopping there. A lot of what they carry you can get at Trader Joe's/Safeway for cheaper. However, if you need some $8 basil chutney.....

I agree about the sandwiches - you're better off getting one of the standard ones. They have good meat, cheese, bread etc so they're plenty good. It seems like when they create those specialty ones, they're more concerned with showcasing, like, the cranberry-pesto aioli than they are putting together something particularly great. I dolike that they dedicate a good quarter aisle to mate.

miller

Anonymous said...

Alice: Mexico 71

Becky: Crab cake sandwich at Corti's is sooooo good. I don't know if it's seasonal or what, but it's the bomb!!!

-michele

DB said...

I was as down on the post-trade Kings as much as anyone, but I do have to concede that the 3 new guys have played great ever since arriving.

Anonymous said...

Corti's is too expensive. Is that a good enough reason? Besides, I said it was absurd to do ALL your shopping there. It's good for some things & overpriced for others. There's a difference in my mind to a place like Corti's that overcharges because the clientele equates expensive prices with quality, & a place like Wal-Mart that buys in such bulk that they undersell & threaten local businesses. If you're suggesting that Corti's is in danger of going out of business, I seriously doubt that. Darryl Corti has done well for himself & continues to do so. I also don't consider all chains evil (most are, not all). Trader Joe's offers healthy, affordable groceries (which I don't think are crap for the most part) & most everyone who works there is friendly. They found a niche & filled it - taht's smart business as far as I'm concerned. I don't consider it faceless just because the owner of Trader Joe's isn't greeting me at the door or something. To suggest I'm sucking their dick is bullshit. I support plenty of local businesses but I don't feel required to. I started going to Peet's instead of Naked because I don't like Naked. I think that half the employees are smarmy & I like Peet's coffee better. So I go there. If I were rich, I'd shop exclusively at the Co-Op & Corti's - but I'm not.

miller

beckler said...

Yeah Miller, quit sucking Trader Joe's dick for a minute. oops, I was posting this before i saw miller's reply. yeah, i wish i could go to corti's all the time too, but I'm never gonna be in that financial situation. I think a lot of the food at Trader Joes is good, too. I mean, I mostly just pick up some bread, vegetables, and a bunch of wine and beer. And none of those things are crap. I worry about Corti's business going down, but it seems that there are enough rich people to keep it in business so the rest of us can pick up something cool there once in a while.

ACK said...

Trader Joes is also known for being one of the best companies to work for. They pay their employees well and I think they have good products. I agree with Miller that not all corporations are the devil.