Wednesday, March 09, 2011

speaking of works of art

I finally made it to the new Nelson Gallery on the Davis campus to see the "regional portraiture" show that OMF has been raving about. It's still open until March 13th, if you want to try to catch it. It's only open on M-Th, and admission is free. Here's Victoria Dalkey's review. She mentions the work below, Chris Johansen's "Ankle Level Drum Circle". It's pretty funny. Just different people, some hippies, some nude dudes, doing an endless loop of a drum circle on TV screens. Hmm...looking up Chris Johansen I see he is part of the Mission School of artists with the look that is...not my favorite. Unfortunately, some big wigs were meeting in the room with the Roy De Forest so I did not get to see the whole show yet.

My very favorite work was by conceptual artist Paul Kos. A mysterious and haunting glass bell formed by silkscreening concentric circles onto stacked sheets of glass. It creeped me out. It's like a window into another dimension. One thing it's not, however, is a portrait. The title of this show is not apt, as Dalkey also points out.
speaking of works of art, this baby is finally mine! and for only ten bucks on ebay.
speaking of other works of art, shh....don't wake the sausages. they are sleeping in their warm, tomatoey bed of lentils.
speaking of other works of art, don't forget the All That Jazz screening at The Verge tomorrow. I am digging up a lot of dirt and good quotes on Fosse.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should I wear a bowler?
-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

so bummed you dissed Chris Johansen. He's a rad dude. His interview in Beautiful Losers is one of my favorites.

Liv Moe said...

:(

beckler said...

Well, I said I liked the drum circle installation. I don't like that style of art! I can't help that. It's my taste, it's unique to me. Look at all the tacky shit I love-such as giant posters of Mark Spitz.

Anonymous said...

Not liking something isn't a dis anyway. It's just not liking it.

-miller

Anonymous said...

I don't know; she said, "he is part of the Mission School of artists with the look that is...not my favorite." Not your favorite? How much more disrespectful could you get?

beckler said...

ok, you win. it is my favorite! my new favorite.

Anonymous said...

Your grasp of disrespectful is not real strong. Pointing something out, saying its not your thing but offereing it up for others to judge forthemselves?
Not disrespectful. I actually like some of his stuff and it didn't even strike me that way.

-Natalie

beckler said...

I think maybe that comment above mine was a joke. Right?

Anonymous said...

Apparently not the best one, if it has to be explained. I blame the internet - never before in history were there disrespectful people.

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to say that the sausage dish is not my favorite picture of food.

Dis!

Liv Moe said...

internet or no people are weird.

Anonymous said...

Sigh, can all jokes me in comic sans? How can I know. Here I made an internet dick of myself. Isn't anonymous just one dude.

Oh well.

I would make a joke about that spitz poster not being my favorite, but that would be a lie.

Anonymous said...

That drum circle piece is really out of Johanson's usual oeuvre. I'm the opposite- i like his other stuff in general, but drum circle seemed way too 'i'm in art school' for me.

-omf

Josh Nice said...

mark spitz's sac

-chapstick