Monday, September 26, 2011

awkward!

What a weekend!  What a country!

Here's a fact that won't surprise you: if you want to profile a weed store owner, he/she is very likely to "forget" to call you back and/or lose your information.  Too much medicating, I guess.

Oh shit!  I am so excited I just found out Dave Foley is going to be doing stand up at the Punchline in October. I know I talk about the WTF podcast way too much (obsessed), but when Dave Foley was on it was truly crazy.  I am totally going to that.

The Southern Foodways/ FatFace dinner at Verge is this Thursday.  It's about to sell out, so better get your tickets if you haven't yet.

Awkward story after the jump

There's a restaurant that's occupying the former 3 Monkeys spot, that shall remain nameless (I don't want them reading this), and they had a press event with free food on Friday.  I will go to almost anything like that, because there's the chance that it might be interesting, entertaining, awkward (usually all of those at the same time).  It's not really because I need the free food.   So NH and I went to this one.  We were cool and showed up after it had already started because we didn't want to get there first.  Nope, we were still the only people there.  We sat and had micheladas.  And sat.  And sat.  And no one else showed.  At some point the manager ushered us over to 8 or so huge steam trays laden with enough food to feed at least 25 people, maybe more.

The steam trays were set up in a darkened area that also serves as a dance floor.  There was music pumping and disco ball action.  The only tables were very low tables in front of banquettes.  The manager, PR person, chef, and another dude all awkwardly explained what the dishes were while we stood there with stiff smiles plastered on our faces and nodded a lot.  I tried to think of good questions and awkwardly blurted out that I had recently been in Michoacan to try to connect with the chef.  It didn't work. They had hired a photographer, I'm not sure why, and he took pictures of us as we stood there.  I hope I never see those pictures, but maybe they would be funny.

Then, we were handed tiny plates and told to eat as much as we wanted.  We went and sat at the too low tables in the darkened room with the music going and tried to pretend that we were relaxed and enjoying the food (which was fine), all the while praying that the full-size mariachi band would not come serenade us.  We reasoned that was the only way things could possibly get more awkward.  Then the PR lady came and made awkward small talk about how she had googled me and urged us to eat more.

At one point NH, to make conversation, asked the PR woman how the lunch crowd was and said that perhaps she would eat lunch there sometime.  The woman then left us as we continued to try to eat off the tiny plates without staining the white banquettes and another woman crossed the deserted dance floor to talk to us.  She said to NH, "I heard you might join us for lunch.  You should ask for me, Malena, as your server."  There really wasn't much to say in reply to that, and NH was just being polite. It was incredibly awkward.

 It kind of just continued on like that for a while.  No one else ever came.  We slunk out as soon as we comfortably could.  I gotta think twice when I get invited to stuff.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a picture of us awkwardly eating off those tiny plates in the disco. I didn't spill on the white booths, it was a miracle.

NH

Liv Moe said...

My crack google skills lead me to the place of which you speak and I see that they are also perpetrators of the ol' fake yelp review....

yolkie said...

Imagine how sad it would have been if nobody showed! You saved the day.

beckler said...

that's such a nice way of looking at it. we are really heroes if you think about it that way.

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it, how is it that there was never a band called Daysavers? Seems so obvs.

-omf

Liv Moe said...

FYI, the Southern Foodways dinner is SOLD OUT! YAY!

Anonymous said...

I've eaten lunch at this place twice in the last several months. First time they were out of carnitas at like 11:40am. I guess they only made enough for one person since there was only one other table of people there. So I ended up with nachoes with carne asada on them. They were great.
Second time I went (still only one other table of people there) I wanted the nachos again but they had changed the menu and no longer had nachoes. So I ordered tamales. They were out of tamales.
-Dave ninja

Ps. Luigi's Sunday- nacho business. 4eyes.

Pps. Anyone know how to set up a show at Sol Collective? It's time to start trying to get a spot for the 4 eyes Xmas show (dec 17th)