Wednesday, February 04, 2015

movies

oh man, so long since I've posted. It's the thing where I get overwhelmed by the things and then I don't write the things. You know what movie was fucking great? Inherent Vice! Hope you didn't miss it. I think it played three weeks and if DB hadn't mentioned that it was ending I might have missed it LOVED IT.

you know what other movie is good? The Player. Gotta be one of the best Altman movies. I don't think you can see it on Netflix streaming. Netflix streaming sucks! I am glad to be back on the DVDs, although the movie about Portuguese junkies I tried to watch last week was the worst. Like a parody of an art film. The director, Oliveira, is very divisive and I see why.. I fall on the hate side

 
You know who else is good? Tobias Wolff! That talk he gave at the Verge was so great. Hero! I was worried about Janis Stevens reading the story because she bugs me in local plays sometimes (especially as Lady Macbeth) but it was a slam dunk and he loved it! What a cool guy. I recommend a story called The Hunters from The Garden of the North American Martyrs. The second reading at The Verge was from the classic story "Bullet in the Brain", which is also on the New Yorker fiction podcast (I highly recommend this podcast in general.) I see that Tobias Wolff was on it and read the Denis Johnson story "Emergency" which is one of my favorites ever and reminds me a lot of "The Hunters".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss Mr. Turner either! Today is the last day it's playing in Sacramento.

-DB

beckler said...

I am going to miss it. I got other stuff to do. I can't believe it was gone so quickly! I hope to get to most violent year in the next few days.

Stephen Glass said...

I saw both of those this week, which were pretty damn great in quite different ways. Or maybe somewhat similar, come to think ...

Stephen Glass said...

And "The Player" indeed remains genius 23 years later.

Anonymous said...

we read Inherent vice in my book club and everyone hated it. then two dudes went to see the movie anyway and they hated it.