Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Koons! Not just on facebook!

Night two of very little sleep and not stressing on it. Sanity: holding. I got about 5 1/2 hours last night and when I laid down and wasn't tired at all, which is what happens to me all the time, I watched an episode of Empire rather than laying there calculating how many hours of sleep I would get if I feel asleep right that minute. Slept about 12:30-6. Not tired at all. Perhaps you can watch for signs that my sanity is slipping.
 
So this article about the Jeff Koons "debate" (the deal is done I'm pretty sure so it really doesn't matter) was covered in a national art blog. If you could see my iphone case, you'd see a photo of one of Koons' big silver balloon bunnies, so that's the side I come from. Sure, he's become a hack I guess (although I don't know enough about what he's been doing in the last five years to even say I agree with that), but he's in the late stages of his career, and it's hard for an artist with 100 bajillion dollars to stay good and relevant, whether we are talking about a singer, visual artist, whatever. I think some of his best work was his earliest, which is going all the way back to the mid-80s. Plus, I have always loved the Cicciolina series, I think it's hilarious, but I like smut. I don't care that he doesn't fabricate his own stuff, that has it's place, but "art" and "craft" aren't necessarily synonymous. People objecting to it mostly seem to just hate Koons, or the price tag, not so much the work, which is innocuous. I think it's going to look a lot better in person. I'll refer you to a Soriano quote re: the price:
 
"And as I mentioned elsewhere, complaining about Coloring Books cost is akin to quibbling about the size of a tip when you just got served a Shit Sandwich which will bloat your credit card for years. "
 
PS am I the only one who likes the Indo Arch?

5 comments:

beckler said...

Perhaps I am alone. I think Scott likes it.

Day three of about 6 hours. I was hard to get up this morning but I blame daylight savings time. Only a little tired, and planning to work out after work if I have time before the Nate Page lecture at Verge. (630 - the Couchbleachers guy. nice guy)

beckler said...

really good, short, New Yorker piece about Koons, if anyone is interested (probably not)

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/07/selling-points

DJ Rick said...

Does it help you to like it a little more if you know that its approval and imminent existence probably made David Garibaldi break down into tears of rage and then sadness?

beckler said...

As long as he speed-paints those feelings we all win

gee whz said...

I am pro Koons. I also like Indo Arch. I would have been happier with a non-white dude, but I am happy with a big name.
It is exactly the kind of thing that I would make an effort to see if I was visiting Sac.
Also the stock photo of Piglet makes it look terrible, if you look up other sculptures in the series they look really cool. And Koonsy.