Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Back in the Sac(Bee)

My piece about the Dante Club just published online in the Bee. Some version show a more clickbait version of the headline that says "It's fighting to stay alive", which is an overstatement, but the actual headline says "changing to stay alive". I did not write the headline.

D'oh though I just found out that they last minute canceled their March dinner. Oh well, hopefully some folks will read and will go to the April one.

Went to Magpie last night. Had a wonderful meal. This was the scallop crudo with tomatoes, basil and citrus. Dude, the thinly-sliced scallops themselves were unbelievably sweet and delicious.

Then we got the chicken for two. Truly an iconic and affordable Sacramento dish. $40 and we had enough leftovers that I'm having it for lunch today. That black rice! And they had a good Altamont brew on draft.

3 comments:

beckler said...

Wow, the James Beard awards split California out as its own category for best chef this year and Sac STILL didn't get a single nom. in ANY category. https://www.eater.com/2020/2/26/21152716/james-beard-awards-2020-semifinalists-chefs-restaurants-jbfa

beckler said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention the wilted radicchio salad with blue cheese and motherfucking chestnuts! It was not photogenic but it was incredibly creative

beckler said...

OMG nothing makes Sac seem like a small town more than the number of times I've seen mentioned that one of the clowns in the current Cirque Du Soleil show in West Sac is from the area. It's just one touring show of a multi-billion dollar company that has hundreds, if not thousands of performers at any given time!!!! Jeez, Sac, have some pride, I mean it's cool I guess?