Monday, December 18, 2006

the elder craftsman


I was in Old Sac on sunday (you can't keep me out of the sac. don't try) to hit up Laszlo's gourmet smoked fish for my article and I happened by an awesome store called the Elder Craftsman. It's all crafts created by old folks (or Sacramento's senior artisans as they put it) and staffed by a sweet grandma type. I scored a rad Christmas ornament but the real score was the kid stuff. They had great hand-knitted blankets, clothes and dolls. They had super big amazing sock monkeys. They have some of the stuff online so you can take a look at it. Those big sock monkeys are only 22 bucks! I can't believe I haven't ever been to this place. The lady staffing it said that it's been open since the 80's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those are some fantastic sock monkeys.Maybe the best I've ever seen?

beckler said...

they have many great toys there. some of the knitted ones were presh.

Anonymous said...

I can never resist a chance to brag: my mom ran that store for a decade or so. I always thought it sucked, but that was just an assumption, 'cause I never really checked it out. When you're a teenager, you can just sort of assume that kind of thing.
JD

Josh Nice said...

perfect: "your mom works at the elder craftsman!"