Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas jams

We went out into the pouring rain to buy our tree last night (at the savemart on folsom-we tried to buy from that local-owned lot on folsom but the trees were all like 85 bucks! this one was twenty), and I got into the Christmas spirit. So I know it's a little early, but I'm going to post videos of some of my favorite Christmas jams!


omg! Kate Bush looks batshit crazy in this one? I love how she gets all sexy even though it's a christmas song with no sexy lyrics. She's practically giving that chair a handjob.


I think I posted this one last year, too. I think when George Michael says "special" that just might be my favorite single word uttered in any song ever. It's my ringtone right now.

Unfortunately this one just has a fan-made slide show, but still, one of the greatest Christmas songs ever, even though I can't agree with the sentiment of wishing it was Christmas every day.

The most rockin' Christmas song ever. Man, that caveman guy in Slade is so crazy looking. He looks like a little kid who got ahold of the scissors.

The best part of this one is the synth riff and the nice sentiment. Simply having a wonderful Christmas time. No big deal.

Here's the only traditional one on this list. People like this for the novelty of David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing a duet, but it's actually a rad version of this pretty crappy Christmas song.

15 comments:

beckler said...

omg, I'm watching this nilsson clip from the smothers brothers show and i'm plotzing. it's not christmas related though. but it reminded me for some reason that Jonathan Richman is playing at the Palms next tuesday (the eleventh)!!!!!!!

Patrone said...

Yeah, that ONE caveman guy in Slade

-- Patrone

beckler said...

if you search "slade christmas" on youtube you find some british sketch show that is parodying slade, including really bad wigs.

beckler said...

here's an interesting show on sunday, although I'm not sure what Ancient Sons solo acoustic means. Just the twins? That's not really "solo"

Sun, 12/9 - ANCIENT SONS solo acoustic w/ DEAD WESTERN!
Cool Cat Gallery (918 24th Street) Sacto, CA - 8:00, $5-, all ages

Jeff M. said...

The Simply Having...chorus drives me nuts. It's simply beneath Paul as a songwriter. And also that goofy middle eight is kinda dumb for a Christmas song. It's like he couldn't think of anything else.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking last night, as we were listening to Now That's What I Call Christmas, that the art of writing a Christmas song is all about writing something good enough to be liked & remembered but not TOO good to where you wish it wasn't about Christmas so you could play it more than once a year. Like "2000 Miles" or something - that song's too good to be just a Christmas song!

-miller

Anonymous said...

Kate Bush made the sexiest Xmas special of all time.And she must've written this song on the way to the studio, it's sooo stock. But making love to the chair certainly helps it move along. By the way, thanks for posting that clip as I was seriously considering not listening to KB today,it'd be the first time in a bout a month, but you've set me to rights!

Anonymous said...

That song is totally stock Kate Bush! It's rad but it's got every one of her tricks in it.

-miller

beckler said...

stock?! with lyrics like these?

December will be magic again.
Take a husky to the ice
While Bing Crosby sings White Christmas. He makes you feel nice.
December will be magic again.
Old Saint Nicholas up the chimney,
Just a-popping up in my memory.

Anonymous said...

Right, that's how amazing she is!What would be utterly unthinkable for a normal person is a walk in the park to KB.Given more time those lyrics would've involved Dickens,maybe an article about Lapps she read once, maybe a saxaphone or two.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a Peter Gabriel guest spot...

beckler said...

she does mention oscar wilde later in the song because he's so....christmasy?

Anonymous said...

I believe the word you are looking for is "festive".
-biz

Josh Nice said...

my fave xmas jam is that BI song about the kids don't want to go to bed, holly on the vine, and such. i like that tune a lot.

Anonymous said...

Just to drive the point home, I love how the Slade dude screams, "It's Chriiiiiiiistmaaaaaas!!!" at the end of that song. Those guys are too fun and funny to be considered glam.

-Dave