Friday, December 21, 2007

a labe of squab

The thursday night prix fixe at the Waterboy was delicious as usual. The only SLIGHT disappointment was that contrary to the usually verging-on-too-slow three hour pace of the meal, I think they had a ton of reservations before and after us, so our four course meal clocked in at about an hour. We weren't rushed exactly, I was just enjoying myself so much I wanted the experience to last longer. Man, Rick Mahan has an undying dedication to serving squab which I admire. Especially since it's a somewhat difficult meat. He served our tonge-shaped (well, OK, it looked more like a labia than a tongue) portions of squab breast rare as hell. I went there with him because I trust him, but the people on the awkward date next to us did not seem pleased. He served it on top of toast which contained a mixture of foie gras and squab liver! Smiller overheard the people on the left of us namedrop security guard Bill from the Tower, which was cool. I might go to Tuli Bistro today for lunch. JM, any verdict on it yet?

6 comments:

Liv Moe said...

when i worked at mikuni i had a coworker whose mom would send her to work with a big ziploc bag full of roasted squabs. we would eat them like they were chicken wings. delicious!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been over to Tulli's yet. I did notice they officially openened. It was sort of hard to tell since they've been unofficially openened for quite a while. The main difference as far as I can see is that now that they are officially open I have yet to see a single customer in there and I'm going to be honost, I find that intimidating in a new place, I don't want the new bored staff staring at me. I'll be interested to hear how lunch goes though.
~jamattack (I'm still trying out new online names, this is my current favorite, see the funny part is my initials spell jam. I know hilarious, right?)

Anonymous said...

I like jamattack the best so far.

-H. Conway esq.

Anonymous said...

Tuli has been open for like 10 days and it's been written up by 7 people on yelp. If that's even a small clue as to how many people have already visited, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Eric said...

That Squab was so delicious! It wasn't at all what I expected. And the whole meal was really interesting. I love doing the set menu when you can trust the chef to do something unique. Can't wait for the next 3rd thurs!

Anonymous said...

2 things:

Tulis's web site doesn't list prices.

and

I trust bleeding rare meat more than most people.

That adds to the discussion, right?

John L