Monday, December 03, 2007

december 2007 (oh what a night)

The Finches have a new holiday song that's fucking great. They also have a show coming up in Sac.

Saturday night. Oy. I started it off at the Big Tomato press book release thing at Old Soul. There were a ton of peeps and I played a game trying to figure out if one of them was Mike Dunne. There was free local wine, and I hadn't really eaten anything and if you haven't noticed most local wines are so strong that they go straight to the dome. The revolution wines guy was there, and his zinfandel wasn't that bad. I told him that it was lighter than I expected. Then I tried a bogle wine that was like a cup of hot jam. Too much alcohol!
This is the lady who wrote the kids book on Delta and Dawn. It was probably too loud inside for the little kids to hear, but her book seemed to be selling the best after.

Then we went to the Bows and Arrows opening. I can't seem to keep my wallet shut when I walk in there, especially since I was less than sober, so I bought a dress that Olivia was trying to warn me was too large, and indeed it is. Drunken shopping! We got a couple of Coors out of the ice chest and headed to R5 for the midtown monthly event. I was excited to to see teen punks No Admission, but the singer ruined it for me with his precise, emo punk singing style.

The Four Eyes ripped it up except when they sang "Feliz Navidad" which is the worst song. They revealed their new theme song, which is "Rag Doll" complete with lots of scatting from Joel.
This short chick seemed to dig them.

Then it was off to the Distillery to see the Pizzas. Really, really good. So many pizza jokes, my favorite of which was "River deep dish, mountain pie". A super fun band. I sat there racking my befuddled brain for pizza jokes, and they don't come easy.


So, this night at the Distillery was the 27th annual (!) N-men christmas party. This is some local historical skating thing that I have never heard of?!? Can someone explain this to me? It's related to the Midtown Monthly cover story, right? I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but all the skater bros were browsing the issue. They had a band playing old punk covers and the singer was pretty rad but a pit developed quick and my foot got totally stomped out so I was like "lates".

3 comments:

mt.st.mtn. said...

N-Men are a legendary skate crew from waaaay back when, lots of pool, pipe & ditch shredders. John Cardiel is a living legend who's famous, not Sacto famous I mean real famous as far as skateboarding goes. Pat O'Dell just did an installment on his Epicly Later'd show for VBS TV on Cardiel, that's his all time favorite skater.

beckler said...

oh, i always see judd hertzler on that site, too. and chloe sevigney. not skating, though

josh and mendy said...

I went to the first sacto Streetstyle event, in the Tower parking lot on Fair Oaks Blvd in like 1984(?) and dudes were skating through the crowd throwing out handfuls of N-Men stickers. I remember my pre-teen self thinking they must have been some kind of scary gang.