Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Puzzle of the year

Back to work. Wow, friends, I think we can all agree that that was a lot of togetherness. We really touched base. We put in so much face time it's not even funny. We got knocked down, but we got up again, and nothing's ever gonna keep us down.
I never got around to posting any best of lists. I think I can muster a top five for albums. You can look at it and tell I like some pretty mellow shit. It's because I spend so much time raging at shows, I need to unwind when I'm at home. I heard that heckamax's new years resolution is to rage more.

1. Human Like a House-Finches
2. Girls on the Run-Knock Knock
3. Person Pitch- Panda Bear
4. Imagine Our Love- Lavender Diamond
5. Fiery Furnaces-Widow City

Varietal of the year- Cabernet Franc, specifically from the Loire.

Food of the year- Ramen and Pho (tie)

Vacation of the year: Tokyo

Child of the year- Everly B and Matea (tie)

Venue of the year- Guphy's basement (RIP)

Genius Award- Jonathan Richman (every year)

It's hard for me to post a lot of best ofs cuz my memory is so crappy. I could use the blog as a guide but who wants to go back and read all that bullshit? Not me. I know that the Four Eyes xmas show and the Four Eyes at Cody's wedding were two show highlights of the year. Specifically the four eyes singing "shout" at Cody's wedding was amazing. The English Singles and Mantles and Ganglions at that house party was also one of the best, in its sheer fun retardedness. There are probably tons of shows from the first six months of the year I'm forgetting. Ski Instructors and Oh Sees at Fools. Oh yeah, that last Bananas show in Tokyo was off the chain. Morrissey in Stockton (can you tell that I am looking at the blog archives now?). Knock Knock in Guphy's basement. Holy Crap! and knock knock at Cesar Chavez, how could I have forgotten that? Jonathan Richman at the Palms, of course.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this has been a long year.
I wish I had a good new years resolution. I guess I must be perfect.

Anonymous said...

Best film of the year?

beckler said...

Heres my top ten:

1-No Country for Old Men
2-Children of Men
3-Killer of Sheep
4-Eastern Promises
5-Knocked Up
6-Rescue Dawn
7-Superbad
8-Bourne Ultimatum
9-The Wind That Shakes The Barley
10-Control

I know, it's weird that I liked Knocked Up more than Superbad, but I just did. And Children of Men was my favorite action movie in years. I saw less than 20 movies this year.

Anonymous said...

If you enjoyed Guphy's basement, you may enjoy the smaller, slightly more exclusive Guphy's garage coming your way summer '08.

guess who

Liv Moe said...

guphy's garage chant! guphy's garage chant! guphy's garage chant! guphy's garage chant! guphy's garage chant!

beckler said...

chant of the year-ghostbusters 2

smiller is sceptical about my claim to like knocked up more than superbad, since he attended both movies with me, but that's how i remember it. who is he to tell me what i like and don't like based on what i say about it?

Josh Nice said...

you have to explain "chant of the year-ghostbusters 2" to me because i just watched that movie for the first time the other night, ass-out with bronchitis in a cambodian hotel room.

beckler said...

maybe lil maxwell can explain it? it's his chant.

sorry about the bronchitis! there was just a re-broadcast of a rad this american life about garment factories in cambodia. it made me want to shop more at the gap because they buy their clothes from cambodian manufacturers (who treat their workers pretty well). too bad the clothes at the gap suck.