Thursday, February 08, 2007

mmmm cleavage

I'd like to point out that the News and Review is getting some pretty mixed yelps while the midtown monthly's feedback is 100% positive! I realize this is because MM only has one review.

Can we all just agree that the news and review should dump their flash fiction issue? And now they have a part 2 for what reason? I can't even make my brain read these things.

KW reviews Zen Sushi and she's into it. I would give it another half star for the abundant helpings of creamy cleavage that are served with every meal but that's just me. I can't believe that I have never had the pleasure of Chef Lou sending out special stuff, but I'm hoping to have that experience soon. I've heard it's not to be missed.

I'm dining at Pooja tonight for my next column. This weekend I hope to hit up Grand Central Station. I feel that my west sac column is missing a Mexican component, so I might go to Sal's. Where would you guys go if you could hit up one Mexican joint in West Sac?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably the place next to the Reno club. It's delicious and terribly authentic. Seriously, it's almost exactly like you rolled up to a roadside stand in Mexico. The woman doesn't speak English and does things like pick up the chile
relleno and dips it in the sauce with her bare hands. She also makes handmade tortillas and won't stop bringing them to you until you ask her. You can go through a dark hallway to the Reno Club to get your cerveza. The food is so delicious (esp. the mole) that I sang about it for at least an hour after we left.

But I don't think I would write an article about it. I don't think she would pass any health inspections.

Stick with Sal's, it's quite delicious in it's own way. Salsa bar with like 9 different salsas, 2 of which are white.


gbomb

Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest the Reno club, fuck that mole was the bomb.
Perhaps I should just go eat there again.
-Natalie

Anonymous said...

There's better places than Sals. But they do have the wonderful salsa bar, the potato tacos, and the creepy Kings tile art.

I'd tell your passengers before you cross the river, "quick pick a number between 1 and 10" and stop at that number of Mexican places. I do that on Freeport counting after Broadway.

That or go to the place next to the Reno club.

Anonymous said...

If you're talking "classic" West Sac, it's Sal's or Emma's. I personally like Sal's a lot beter than Emma's - Emma's seems more like an old West Sac tradition than anything else & probably doesn't need to be looked at much closer than that. It's pretty standard family style Mexican a la Luis's. Sal's I just can't be objective about - I love it. I love Sal, the decor, the salsa bar, the chicken El Grande..

Mexican food purists are generally down on it but for some reason it hits a spot that no other Mexican food hits for me. Come to think of it, in my mind, it's not even in the Mexican food category - it's just Sal's!

-miller

Anonymous said...

La Piedad, try the menudo.

Jackson Griffith said...

Isn't La Piedad in North Sacramento on Del Paso> Or is there one in East Yolo, too?

Anonymous said...

Man it's been like a years since I went to Sal's.

Like a moth to the flame, I must go soon.

Anonymous said...

Is no one going to make a dirty Pooja joke?