Friday, February 23, 2007

olives galore


Instead of going to Famous Kabob, I got takeout from Maalouf's last night and my God it was good. We ordered the kofta kabob dinner (the kofta itself was flavorful but very dry) and it came on a bed of the most delicious rice and grilled peppers and onions and tomatoes. They put that Lebanese bbq sauce stuff on top! And then we got orders of labneh and hummus and they gave us a big bag of pita from the Orient Bakery down the street (which I haven't been to yet). We also stopped at the Mediterranean Market on our way home and just like when I go to the Red Sea Market I am always blown away by the variety of super cheap spices. I went into the med market in search of merguez, which unfortunately they didn't have (Red Sea usually does). Merguez is one of the most perfect foods the world has ever known and I find the dearth of it in local markets to be confounding. However, the Med Market had like ten giant vats of assorted olives and I got a ridiculously large bag of them for less than three bucks. There are so many flavors involved in this one particular green olive that my brain just shuts down from trying to figure out what I am tasting. I also picked up some coffee with cardamom that I can't wait to try.


Tonight at Fools, Shiny Object is screening a short film program. And then tomorrow at Fool's is the awesome show and record release for the ski instructors. Man, what would we do for entertainment without the fool's foundation?

3 comments:

Jackson Griffith said...

Maalouf's is the best. Having grown up in West Beirut, aka Stockton, I really jones hard for good Lebanese food. And Maalouf's delivers.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like an OK show, but Sex Rat is playing the Boardwalk that night...

gbomb

Liv Moe said...

sex rat is a band name that's fun to say.. it rolls off the tongue... sex rat.... sex rat.... sex rat!