Wednesday, August 19, 2009

new camera

This is a picture of my dinner last night. Not too monumental. I made the black beans, sadly without epazote, as La Superior was out of it. I think I'm going to try to grow epazote, it's my favorite new herb. The salsa is the really good stuff from La Esperanza. Anyway, what IS monumental is that I took this picture with my new camera, which I love! Hopefully my photography will improve because this thing takes autofocus to a new level.
This captures Babs when she is wilding out.
Do you remember about the best show of all time happening on Saturday at Luigis? Do you know how good the Dreamdate and Makeout Party records are? Come stocked with funds to buy both.

Here is an email from Charles about his show tomorrow at West Capitol Bowl. Hopefully he won't care that I put it on the internet:

Hello Everyone!

I'm just writing to let you know about an awesome rock and roll show this Thursday August 20th at the 300 hundred room (a.k.a the West Capitol Bowl) in glorious West Sacramento. I, Charles Albright, will be performing a few songs from my hit out-of-print single "I'm on Drugs" as well as a few soon to be released tracks.

To commemorate the show, I will have a special limited edition cd-r for sale with such hits as "I'm on drugs", "Headphones" & "I'm Happy, I'm a Genius". Limited edition. I will also have the last few copies of the original pressing of my solo single (Ha, out-of-print my ass!). Heck, buy one now and e-bay it in a few weeks. Make a fortune!

Now, for the faint of heart, the bands will be loud. My band especially, so please bring your own set of headphones. Or at the very least some ear plugs. We will be playing will two awesome Canadian bands from Canada. These Canadian bands from Canada are Sex Church & the Defektors. I hear they are good. Don't take my word for it. Here is what KDVS' Rick E. has to say about the two Canadian bands from Canada :

"The bands from Canada are Sex Church {www.myspace.com/sexchurchnow} and the Defektors {http://www.myspace.com/defektors} ...two of the very best from Vancouver right now. Sex Church are a couple of guys from Ladies Night who had a killer show a couple years back at the Delta of Venus that ended with them getting into a fight. Defektors are one of the "features members of" bands, but they're actually better than all of those other bands. Probably my favorite straight-ahead punk band. Little bit dark like the Wipers, yet a little bit glittery."

Sounds good, huh? For those of you who have to work the next day, yes, The Charles Albright XXXperience will be headlining. So factor that in. We have a short set, but you may out as late as midnight. FYI.

Charles FUCKING Albright

ps. If, for some reason, you can't make this must see show, we will be playing on KDVS Monday night the 24th of August. Just an FYI.
pps. This show is a benefit for Derick Nielsen.

9 comments:

fft said...

both shots are out of focus :0! they're nice shots, though.

beckler said...

your emoticon does not soften your dig. :}
p.s.-that's the first time i've ever used an emoticon

Anonymous said...

My last two cameras have been Powershots, they are my favorite.

-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

For years I couldn't eat salsa made around Sacramento because people go a little too crazy with the cilantro, which doesn't agree with me. So I am eternally grateful to the friend who clued me in on epazote, because she'd learned how to make frijoles negros con arroz during the time that her hippie stepdad dragged the family off to rural Mexico to teach the campesinos about permaculture. Seriously - forget about hassling the taco trucks, could we get a law passed that anybody who sells salsa has to make sure there's a good 1:1 ratio between the cilantro and epazote?

DJ Rick said...

Hope to see you all at Charles' show on Thursday...especially after the first ever Mayyors show where the room was inexplicably half vacant. I really expected that show to draw twice as much. Hmmm.....well, half the city's hitting the road today to go support the Mayyors, Ganglians, and Mom up in Portland at the giant SMMR BMMR festival, so I'm calling on everyone who comes to the very occasional show to come out to 300 Room on Thursday. I promise to run the show efficiently so that it's over in time to get career people to bed at a decent hour. And the Canadian bands aren't really that loud!

beckler said...

epazote in salsa you say? interesting. i will try that. i love cilantro, and that salsa from la esperanza has a lot of it. i know it tastes like dirt to a certain percentage of the population.

a fun fact about smiller: he experiences bitterness differently, which I think leads to his appreciation for beers that are high on the IBU scale. we were eating really bitter chard the other night and he didn't think it was bitter. stay tuned for more fun facts.

part of the reason I didn't go to the mayyors show is i thought it would be too jammed! a victim of their own success. i heard the beer was flying, so i'm glad i missed that. if i want to get sprayed with fluid at a show, i'll go see gallagher.

jay howell said...

Hi,
If you make it out to S.F check out this place:

LoLo
3230 22nd St
(between Mission St & Bartlett St)
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 643-5656
www.lolosf.com/

it's Turkish/Mexican and not too expensive but can get busy on the weekends.
It's my fave place right now, they play good music too.

stay kind,
jay

DJ Rick said...

Yeah, they passed an entire 30-pack of Budweiser out, so the 37 people that were there all had beers in their hands except for me and that one Davis teenager who doesn't drink yet and Todd....And within the first verse of the first song, the front of my shirt was drenched in Budweiser, and my back was getting it, too. Still, there was room in the back and around the sides. We fit 65-paid into The Hub when XYX played, so I know we coulda fit twice as many people before it because too much like forced daisy-chain too-close-for-comfortness. Seems like a lotta the regular show-goers of Sacto/Davis are getting show'd out. I dunno.

beckler said...

thanks jay, I'll check it out.

more like summer'ed out. i summered it to the max this summer, and we all know that summer lasts until practically thanksgiving in sac.