Thursday, August 20, 2009

sledge-o-matic

I made a squash blossom soup from a Diana Kennedy recipe, and I wasn't going to post about it, because it was a little boring. However, upon tasting it today I decided that the flavor had improved after a day and also that it would be a dynamite base for a chunky stew. With beef stew meat and potatoes. Or chicken.
You remove the flower petals on a few bunches of squash blossoms (the more the better) and chop them, and cook them with some broth for about 15 minutes. Blend this mixture, trying not to spray the cabinets with hot soup as I did.

Then, roast a couple of tomatoes on broil in the oven, watching out to try to avoid getting burnt patches on the skin.
Blend the tomatoes with half a chopped onion, and then cook the tomato/onion mixture for 5 minutes on high over a couple of tablespoons of lard. She said butter but I used lard. Add that mixture to the squash blossom mixture with a sprig of epazote. So that's the second time this week I've been bummed I don't have any epazote.
In the spirit of the Barnseyard, here are some quotes from Netflix about Gallagher. I've been thinking about my family's love for Gallagher this week. Perhaps a Crest employee would like to comment on what it was like when Gallagher played the Crest? I heard some stories about his brother (who ripped off his act, I think), and how mean he is.

P.S.-don't forget that Dan will be on AM 1530 tomorrow at 4:40. He's hitting the big time.

This is the Dirty Gallagher... not that funny, and I am a fan of his not dirty comedy channel shows. And not one Watermelon Smashing worth a yuk. Pass on this one... a loser...

If your impression of Gallagher is just some weird comedian that smashes up food products and produce, you are sorely mistaken

Then he bring his "estranged" brother Ron out to run the Sledge-o-matic!!!! It gets worse. The next to last show was filmed in 2000, and at one point Gallagher states his age as 54. He berates his nephew (about 4 yrs old) on stage. Then a 10 year old audience memeber gets the same treatment.

Gallagher is back, about time! With great humor comes great responsibility, and the man for the job is the one bashing watermellons into the comedy starved minds of Americans. I am just tired of all these artsy fartsy alternative comedians. You got your Suri Silverman, the David Crosses, the Patton Oswalts, these liberal "look at me, I'll expose hypocracy through humor, nah, nah, nah" make me sick. I want mind numbing comedy, the kind that makes you forget what day it is...that's Gallagher. There's the comments about his wife being too fat to b@ng, to him doing a complete 180 and smashing watermellons. Insane! Why don't we drop tons of these dvds in Iraq, I bet them enemies of ours will be overcome with laughter, enough so they'll forget they're at war with us and we can take them. Yup. Gallagher can be our WMD (Weapon of Mass Destraction).

Pass this up and move on to something with a little more humor. Like Amistad.

7 comments:

beckler said...

all right, well the guy who said that gallagher was a wmd was joking. here's his review of a pink concert dvd. pretty funny

This movie was awesome, I love pink! She is like Madonna + Right Said Fred - talent! You too will get all pinked out when you jam to this DVD. She has a pet monkey on stage, unreal. And the guest appearance by Fergie, too cool, too coool.

fft said...

nice photos, esp the squash!

i hear barnesness is getting a column, too, whenever his editor gets his fucking shit together.

Anonymous said...

His editor is a flake! Actually he is a flake too.

Bunch o' bums!

gbomb

KLJ said...

I got a kick out of Gallagher as a kid and was really excited when I first heard he was coming to The Crest. I'm sad to say, he was awful.
Mean, nasty, unpleasant and creepy on stage and off. He was filthy with kids in the audience and even with kids on the stage with him. He seemed like an angry bitter old man who hates what he was doing and yet he still insisted on going WAY over his time and making the staff crazy with the never ending awful show.

undercover caterer said...

LARD! Awesome. I just like saying it.

beckler said...

yeah, I got my lard at la esperanza. they sometimes sell tubs that they make. it's nicer than that block stuff. although I saw you bought that pork fat from corti, so you could render lard from that.

Anonymous said...

Gallagher should smash those guys in the hearts because they are so heartless.

-CH From Dinuba