Monday, February 07, 2011

Lightfoot weekend

Do you guys know about this dessert at Maalouf's? It's one of my faves. Can't seem to find the name online. It's french bread soaked in sweet rose syrup with pudding on top and crushed pistachios.
Pick N Pull was awesome! Here's a picture of Gballs and Jellybean Benitez being badasses. They did all the work, of course I was ready to give up right away when I couldn't locate the right car instantly.
Chill weekend, English Singles were in Portland.
My man was gone so this man had to keep me company
I had an assignment in which I had to go to the farmer's market early and talk to farmers and it was so fun. Farmers are so friendly and nice. Rob from Rob's Produce advised me to make a leek, potato and sunchoke soup so I did. He had these pretty leeks for two bucks a pound. I sliced and washed them and sauteed them in a mix of butter and olive oil.
Then, peeled and sliced some old-ass russets.
Then, threw in some chicken broth made by this guy with a bulbous forehead (fivehead?)
Then, washed and chopped up the sunchokes, no peeling required, which is nice because it's very similar to peeling ginger (aka time consuming)
I added a little of this delicious wine, probably should have added it with the leeks in the beginning.
And finished with a little cream and salt and pepper to taste
Chives on top. I really need an immersion blender. No really.
I got a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with bacon from Cabrillo Farms.
Mmm...bacon and walnuts.

It was really good, although I don't like relying on bacon to add flavor. It didn't really meld together, it was hard to pick up the walnut and bacon pieces. I think next time I'll try the brussel sprout and white wine recipe he gave me. But the sprouts themselves tasted soooo much better than steamed ones. Roasting is the way to go.

14 comments:

yolkie said...

yum. Thanks for making my mouth water while sitting in class.

beckler said...

oh yeah, I was gonna email you and tell you you should watch the Valentino documentary, but instead I will just put it in the comments.

There are so many good quotes:

Valentino: an evening dress that reveals a woman's ankles is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen

Karl Lagerfeld (embracing Valentino and whispering in his ear): compared to us the rest are just making rags

Anonymous said...

I always roast my brussels. Just with onion, rosemary, garlic and olive oil. Sometimes I roast some radishes & carrots at the same time.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

-Brussel and Caper hash, I am totally addicted to it.

- I will pick the fuck out of a pull, and a hat.

-I heart Lagerfield. I also hate him.

-The valentino doc is seriously awesome.

-I had leeks with the Morants I bought Saturday, primo combo.

Anonymous said...

am totally coming around on brussels sprouts. someone made a salad with raw, thinly sliced sprouts for thanksgiving dinner and it was excellent. citrus juice and dried cranberries were in there i think.

your bacony pan-roasted ones are all the rage in the old-timey american bistros that keep popping up like dandelions in BK. (do you think like, next year people will be rejecting those places as passe?) i especially like it when they let them brown or almost blacken in the fat.

-chapstick

Liv Moe said...

this is super good too and requires few ingredients for how satisfying it is.
http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/11/refilled-and-refueled.html

Count Mockula said...

It is called aish-al-sariah and I love it, too! Maalouf's is one of my favorite restaurants in town. They made the food for my wedding, and they were so awesome that they just threw in a bunch of stuff we hadn't ordered as well.

beckler said...

Maaloufs is really good. I don't get out there enough.

I need to bookmark Orangette. I like her writing.

yolkie said...

I saw the Valentino documentary when it played at Tower and loved it. I'm always bummed when hardly anyone comes to see awesome documentaries. I think it played for just a week. I've had it out for Lagerfeld since he said, "Nobody wants to see curvy women." But he is still fabulous.

beckler said...

He is just fat-phobic because he used to be so big. I don't think he really means it. But it's still assy.

JB said...

I love my immersion blender. I've had the same non-fancy (<$20) one for probably over a decade. It's hard to beat for soup, but my new favorite use is salad dressing. The blender just fits in a wide mouth pint ball jar. Throw whatever in the jar and hit it with the blender -- it emulses the shit out of a vinaigrette.

beckler said...

now I really want one! sometimes I do salad dressing in the blender and it's totally a pain

Liv Moe said...

you definitely want one. i haven't used a blender in the 7 years or so that i've had an immersion blender. food processor yes. blender no.

Anonymous said...

That's it! I'm going to buy myself an immersion blender today. I'm going to make Bacon Jam tonight, so it'll come in handy.

DKK