Friday, February 11, 2011

say what?

I guess I shouldn't let an article about food that's in a style magazine make me mad, but I kind of take this personally. This is ridiculous. An article about the best banh mi in America that spends the first half of it talking about banh mi in the Northwest? And mentions California as an afterthought? I looked it up and Orange Country has by far the biggest Little Saigon in America, with San Jose bringing up second. Seems like many of the commenters are similarly incensed. I guess I've had sandwiches on the brain lately.

8 comments:

beckler said...

here's a comment smiller will love:

NomNom Truck best bahn mi in L.A.? Are you kidding? It's meh, at best.

Anonymous said...

That comment didn't make me do my happy dance.

-miller

Snufkin said...

Based in New York but doesn't mention Bahn Mi Saigon in Little Italy? They're in Zagats and always have lines out the door for selling amazing (best bahn mi I've ever had) sandwiches out of the back of a jewelry store.

The Armeniac said...

Having looked around Portland for a good bhan mi I can vouch for their lackluster quality, at least in SE Portland. I've gotten bahn mi that had mayo on them twice!! Who the fuck would even fathom putting mayo on a bahn mi!? Bad news.

The Armeniac said...

I actually went to the shop they mention in the article. Decent bahn mi, no mayo at least! But it wasn't as good as ones I've had on Stockton Blvd!

undercover caterer said...

Were you "a curious reader"?

California is OUT right now, the Pacific NW is IN.

beckler said...

I think banh mi traditionally has mayo. I've read that the best places make their own, which would probably account for how yellow it is sometimes. Don't hate!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, mayo is traditional, at least for the many native Vietnamese people I know. And also, Becky, thanks for spelling it correctly. People always spell it 'bahn' I guess because americans pronounce it that way, so it seems to make sense. But the stickler in me can't let it go. It's spelled 'banh' and rhymes more closely with ban than bon, though neither is quite right; it's some vague middle ground.

JD