Friday, January 24, 2020

Crabz

I would like to retract my comment below about Polanco. No, not about it being meh, which is is, but about the pint size. Scott proved to me using one of our glasses at home that that was likely a pint. I struggle with a concept that toddlers master about container sizes. It's not object permanence, I think that's something else, and I have been over the game peek-a-boo for a long time, but I will often grab the way wrong container to store leftover food. I can't eyeball it.

Cooked these bad boys yesterday, learn more after the jump
We are in the thick of the season for the best crab in the world: Dungeness. I was looking up when the season is and I would like to applaud the SF Chronicle for the headline "crab season gets cracking after delay". Bra. Vo.

This was my first time at the "new" Sunh Fish location, although they've been there for 8 months. They had crab for $6.99/lb, which they said is 3 bucks less a pound that was 99 Ranch currently has. I also got a dozen Kusshi oysters, which were tasty and not that gritty.

Putting the crabs in the freezer did the trick, they were pretty mellow. I put a bunch of Phillips seasoning in the water. I swiped it from a table at Phillips Restaurant when I was in Baltimore a couple years back. It was heavy on the celery seed. I got the idea from seeing some chef cook crab in a ton of Old Bay. Anyway, it didn't really flavor the crab, but I did create a dip with mayo and Phillips and that was hella good.

Get you some crabs! Check out Sunh Fish! They had some sea urchin that looked mighty fine and some salmon roe, and then of course lots of other fish and live lobsters too.

1 comment:

Scott Miller said...

Bayonnaise