Monday, January 27, 2020

Solomon's

I have been craving bagels lately, and it's been a really long time since I've been to Beauty Bagels. I don't know how I used to get there so often and now it's been too long. Smiller and I went to Solomon's on Saturday. I went to the Davis one twice, and this is now the second time I've been to the K street one. The first time at the K street one I got a lox bagel, which was too piled with stuff for me to enjoy. You can't pile capers on a towering (get it, TOWER-ing) mound of salmon, they will just roll off which is upsetting. Scott got that this time, and it had terrible tomatoes. They were so orange he thought they were more salmon. The salmon was again very good. The bagel not so much, so he bought one to take  home and toast and make sure. I have no idea why it is so hard to make a good bagel but if it was easy everyone would do it, instead of literally like maybe 20 places in America.

I got the pastrami sandwich. The pastrami is very tasty, it's kind of thin-sliced and grilled, which is interesting. The rye bread was dry and almost crumbly, and it needed more mustard. This for $15.99 is a hard sell.

It seems like they are doing a steady business, I sensed tourist in a lot of the customers, which is not bad at all. There needs to be places for tourists to go that aren't lame like PF Changs. The potato salad on the side was great. Unbeknownst to me until I paid, that Topo Chico was four bucks??? They have Zeal kombucha there too and if I had known I was venturing into that beverage price point I probably would have gone for Zeal.

Looks like Golden Bear won the Baconfest again? So that's two years right, although they won it with a different chef last year. I don't think she work for Golden Bear any more. I took a break from judging this year. Maybe I'll be back next year.

Has anyone been to The Good Bottle? Scott and I keep trying to find it when we are riding around and can't. We haven't tried that hard obviously. I'm interested.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Sara, who won for Golden Bear last year, is with South now. She did a really good porchetta with creamed spinach and lemon mostarda for the competition this year. The crispy edge on it was fantastic and I loved the mostarda. Matt Brown was the chef who won for Golden Bear this year.

Judging BaconFest was a little easier this year, there were 10 chefs competing and not all of them did a bacon or a small plate so we only had 21 dishes total to taste (including the bacons).

beckler said...

thank you for your service!

Caroline said...

Even at the ridiculously inflated Taylor's Market at Sacramento Airport, Topo Chico is only $3!