Thursday, January 02, 2020

Restaurant closings and mind openings

(stole this pic from liveformusic.com)

I saw a somewhat unexpected Instagram post yesterday that Mother has closed and now today news that Cafe Marika has closed as well. Jeez, brutal year for change in Sacramento. I'm sad about Mother, that was a real Sacramento classic, and we only get like one of those a year that feel like permanent fixtures. I would say Canon was probably that for 2018 and Pizza Supreme Being for 2019.

I am very glad I went to Marika a couple times in 2019. I'm happy they are retiring, and not shutting it because it went out of business. The loss of June's continues to reverberate in our community as well, especially since we didn't get to say goodbye.

On a happy note, Dead & Co. put on a great show for NYE and I'm so glad we went. It was at Chase Center, but serendipitously (how to spell?) Matt R. lives in the neighborhood and wanted to go. They played from 8 until almost 1 am, with long breaks. I was grousing about a particularly long break, which went from like 11:20 to almost midnight, but then it turned out that was because they were setting up a FULL SIZED BIPLANE to fly on a track over the audience, with Trixie Garcia sitting in it waving. It has a stealie painted on the side and an iridescent lighting bolt on the front. Then Wavy Gravy and Bob Walton came out dressed as baby new year and father time and Walton gave the trippiest, slowest countdown ever that probably had little to do with the actual time it was. Oh, also, like 20 flappers came out and danced the Charleston. And then they did a killer 3rd set and encore. So yes, it was worth it and also, yes I do love John Mayer now so deal with it.

The 3rd set was:
Sugar Magnolia
Uncle John's Band
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Sunshine Daydream

Encore:
Touch of Grey




7 comments:

Jed said...

Poll Idea: What's worse, the double-bummer of Mother/Marika or your admission of John Mayer guilt? -Jed

beckler said...

I forgot to mention Drums/Space. Incredible!

Man, I saw Uncut Gems last night. No movie has ever made me so tense in my life. I could not sleep after it so I am very tired and grumpy today. I wouldn't say I liked it, but it was definitely effective at the mood it was trying to create.

Cody said...

That's pretty much my take on Uncut Gems too. I thought it was great, but I don't know that I'll ever want to watch it again.

Scott Miller said...

Best shirt at the show was what looked like a Slayer shirt but said "MAYER". I loved Uncut Gems, Tower was SO fuckin cold though!

Rachel S said...

I am really glad that you are single handedly bringing back blogspot and that there is a post about the Dead. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Technically, Walton’s name is “Bill” but anyone who’s eaten that much acid won’t mind. And 40 minute breaks are standard for all two set jam-bands. Even at a Tuesday night show in April. If you can do long breaks and ironic “lot” shirts...you’ll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Oh..and adding Cafe Rolle to your list makes it hurt that much more.