Thursday, January 30, 2020

Ready for Halloween for which I will probably not actually dress up?

Man, I have really bad insomnia the last few days. Last night I barely slept and I was having feverish thoughts about what I should post on Heckasac and also Sacramento-related Halloween costumes. I mean, mostly worrying about spreadsheets but the former are the fun topics. I almost just got up and went to work at 4 am but then I decided that was insane and slept from 4-630.

Sac-related Halloween costumes:
Jizz Tree (hopefully everyone gets this)
1987 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee (I'm hoping smiller will do this as a team costume)
Pancake Circus (a clown with pancakes pinned to her)

Then I took notes on my phone on what to remember to post. Grab bag of half-baked ideas. After the jump!



One thing that I'm sure I've posted about before in the long herstory of Heckasac is the movie Fat Girl, by which I was thoroughly traumatized. Criterion is pushing it right now, and they have multiple interviews with the director Catherine Breillat on her process and they are HORRIFYING. She talks about making sure her actors are stressed and insecure for sex scenes and have no idea what she will ask or coerce them to do. The actress on the left I believe says she was 13 during filming and that Breillat talked her into revealing her breasts in a scene, which she did not want to do and did not watch later. Anyway, things have really changed since 2000, when this was filmed, but maybe not in France, not sure.

Strangely, while I am too disturbed by Fat Girl to "like" it, I really liked Breillat's 2002 movie "Sex is Comedy" which is a fictionalized account of the filming of Fat Girl. Go figure!

The other thing I have is an idea I had that is seeming very silly right now, but I had a conversation with friends not long ago about what if there was an "eau de Sacramento" what would it smell like. Some ideas (one recycled from above):

  • jizz tree
  • how your hair would smell after eating at Maalouf's
  • the good smell of the river
  • fortune cookie factory before it closed down
  • Jimboyzz ground beef taco
  • Now I've forgotten all the other ones, maybe you can add some

4 comments:

Caroline said...

On November 1 I had a great Halloween couples costume of Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig and I am hoping I remember it this year. Sandi isn't renewing her contract but my costumes are never timely so whatever.

wburg said...

Fortune cookie factory closed down? Thought it was still open and it was the noodle factory side that became Delta Breeze Records. Saw the door open & some folks outside of it the other day but didn't note whether or not cookies were being created there still. Must investigate.

Stephen Glass said...

Glad you resisted the urge to go to work so early -- years back I dropped off a friend at the airport who was flying to SFO/Thailand at 5 a.m. (the first flight out of Arcata is at 5:45) and afterward decided "Welp, might as well go into work."

beckler said...

I have done it a few times and I usually end up staying until the usual time anyway, so yeah, no benefit to it