Monday, April 16, 2007

durian shake

Cool photo! Which one of my friends will Bob Sylva profile next?

I got the pork bun at Hong Luan sandwich yesterday. It was so fucking good! It had these cuts of charbroiled pork that were marbled with succulent fat and crispy on the edges and I could not even begin to tell you what the hell part of the pig they were from but it's my new favorite part whatever it is. And I got a durian shake which was bland but good. The shake really mostly tasted like icy condensed milk. I smelled the durians (it's important to take time to stop and smell the durians) at SF Supermarket and other than poking my nose on a spike, I had no strong reaction. I should have bought one but they were five bucks and I was being cheap. Maybe they're in season, though, because everyone was buying them. I love all the development that is going on over there, right next to Little Vietnam plaza there are posted plans for a Little Saigon plaza. I hope it really gets built.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The durian often arrives frozen, it doesn't really smell until they get to defrosting but that doesn't usually happen in the store. Last time I was at SF though that had a real ripe smelling bin of them.

-Natalie.

Liv Moe said...

speaking of delicious pork... i had the tan tan men at edokko ii last night. so good!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

usually you can't really smell the durian until you cut it open. like it's punishment of you for slicing into it :)
-lily