Thursday, April 05, 2007

poor mans Busfield




Maaloufs!! The best. Fans of Maaloufs will sympathize when I say that when I ordered takeout yesterday I was reluctant to pick it up because I didn't want to offend Maalouf by not eating in his restaurant. I swear that last time I got takeout there he mumbled something about his restaurant not being good enough for me to eat in, but I am also extremely paranoid so I probably made that up. I'm glad that I did take it home, though because the kibbee tastes so perfect with ketchup and I wouldn't want Maalouf to see me eating it like that. I had to post this terrible picture because I found it online. If you squint your eyes you can see where Maaloufs is.


I also watched Body Double. I love Brian DePalma. I just do. That movie is completely nuts. There is a scene which suddenly turns into a Frankie Goes to Hollywood video for Relax. And there is tons of nudity and sex, which always earns an extra star from me. Body Double stars Craig Wasson (good to see that he's still working and hoping that his movie Sasquatch Mountain comes to a theater near me soon). All I kept thinking during the movie is that he's a poor man's Timothy Busfied (see picture above) and wishing that the movie starred Busfield. Melanie Griffith is also in it, and she used to be pretty rad. Is Working Girl worth watching again? It seems that it must be horribly dated.

7 comments:

DB said...

De Palma is the freaking man. "Body Double" is a good movie, but with a better lead, it could have been great (I find this is the case with many De Palma pictures - is he just bad at casting, or does he consistently use b- and c-grade actors for a certain effect?). That scene in the shopping mall is a stunner. I watched "Working Girl" about a year or two ago. It's not great, but it's worth a watch. Probably the most interesting aspect of the movie is an against-the-grain performance from Harrison Ford and strong support from Sigourney Weaver (although they are both horribly undermined by the finale). There is also a good scene in a limo with young Kevin Spacey and nice work from Alec Baldwin, underused as Griffith's sleazy boyfriend.

fft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

For great vintage Melanie Griffiths, watch "Cherry 2000." It's kind of the poor man's "Bladerunner."

Anonymous said...

Don't do anything to upset the dad at Maalouf's! You don't want to get banned from there. I have seen him kick people out for ordering just appetizers. Whatever the rules are, I'm playing by them because I can't live without their falafel.

Niki

Anonymous said...

there's something written on the menu i think that says you can't order "just" appetizers. i remember noticing it on my last visit.

beckler said...

I know, he needs to chill with that. Their portions are so gigantic that sometimes it makes sense to split an entree and some appetizers. I shouldn't have to get all stressed that he's going to get mad at me, especially cuz I've been going there for years now. I chalk it up to him being a very proud man.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting forever it seems for good Lebanese food in Sac. Thank you for posting this, I am excited to check it out. And thanks for all the local food info. Alan Perlioni is a blight upon this earth.