Thursday, March 20, 2008

amen?

First day of spring, y'all. Can I get an amen? Nevermind that I am locked in a windowless room most of the day. That can't bring me down today. Well, OK it can, and is.

I got to go to the Sammies nominating thing at Brew It Up last night. It was so fun! I love Sac, and that was a very Sac event. The attendees were mostly representing the djing/hip hop loving crew of Sac, and it was rad how they got super heated arguing about the categories, yet still stayed civil because we all recognized the fact that we are a bunch of live music fans, even if we can't agree on whether such and such crew should be known by whatever name. The band name Warm Streams got a laugh out of the whole crowd. The food at Brew It Up was ATROCIOUS though. They served me the mealiest, pinkest tomato I've ever seen in my life.

8 comments:

fft said...

mealy tomato nightmares

HK said...

Hell yeah! The beer was good, but I wish we could have been treated to some more filling food that wasn't fried.

beckler said...

I demand better free food next time! Also, a gift horse so that I can look in its mouth and determine if it's up to my high standards. Will we even be asked back after we almost caused an insurrection due to the inclusion of Butterscotch in the "pop" category?

HK said...

Yeah, I'm sure our demands of the Bananas inclusion, and my argument about DJing with the dreads dude didn't help...ha!

Liv Moe said...

pop... ular.

Anonymous said...

Twas a bummer to be a teetotaler/vegetarian at that meeting. The food was abysmal, especially if you were avoiding the meat items. I hope the beer was better than the food.

I would have been more entertained by the vociferous hip-hop/DJ contingent, but the context--we were herded into that back room that had zero ventilation to hash out the categories--made such amusement all but impossible. I was trying to follow the hip-hop band vs. crew argument, along with the nomination of Butterscotch in every category, but my head started pounding from the lack of air, not to mention the skanky fumes emanating from the wine glass held by the person next to me, and when I started gasping for breath, I just had to bail.

Did I mention how much I fucking loathe brew pubs? Shitty food + beer snobs = a real uncool time.

Woulda been better to do it in Wino Park.

--Grwffydd

beckler said...

Now that I have watched a bunch of Butterscoth videos on youtube, I'm going to have to come down on the side of, well not exactly including her in the pop category, because I still think she's kind of an unformed artist, albeit one with a lot of potential, but she's more pop than anything else. Plus, she's hecka cute! She's gonna be performing in Davis for picnic day, and I hope to see her.

Anonymous said...

Butterscotch live is very, very good and it's kind of amazing to witness what she can do. I've seen the You Tube stuff and it doesn't capture how impressive she is....

I think part of the challenge she faces is that she is so good at doing so many things -- that it's kind of hard for her to find her niche/focus

Just like the bananas, another case of the plague of just too damn much artistic expertise.

it must be difficult to live with such a burden

craig