Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Boing!

Have you guys every had/grown sorrel? It grows like gangbusters in this area. It's kind of like sour grass in a greens form so it can be a little hard to figure out what to do with it. Epicurious had a recipe for a salad with yogurt chive dressing. It's like half sorrel, half romaine. Delicious!
This is minestrone I made mostly with stuff from my community garden. It's from an Alice Waters recipe from her book "The Art of Simple Food". It's a little fussy, just like her, but it's also brilliant and inspirational, just like her. She also inspired me to make some salsa verde to put on my grilled rib eye on the 4th. That is some tasty stuff!
I know I always rave about FatFace but Jaymes is such a genius I can't stop! We went to Davis on Saturday to check out her booth at the farmer's market. It's hard to not marvel at what a tranquil little hamlet Davis is when you see their Saturday market. Then we rode bikes all over their awesome bike loop.
Here's a special corn and egg breakfast sandwich.
Who doesn't love a cat in a crate?
I have also raved in print about Toledo's Market, but if you haven't been there yet, get your ass over there! And order the al pastor!
We went up on the levee at Sutter's Landing to watch the fireworks and I had no idea that hundreds of people would have the same idea?! I stood with the crowd on the railroad tracks and someone set off and illegal firework that started a grassfire. It was pretty funny, only because lots of people rushed to put it out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve has been asking for you.
jamattack!

beckler said...

I miss him but not his cigarette breath.

Anonymous said...

Jaymes' Fat Face?

Did someone think plain old "Fat Face" was too accusatory?

Liv Moe said...

salsa verde is the best! perhaps skipper will whip some up to serve with whatever meat product his new smoker produces... i can dream

BC said...

Did you just go up onto the levee or did you go down the tracks and over the freeway? We've always just gone up to the levee (and yes, it's a big thing, people used to bring hibachis but I haven't seen that as much lately) but last year our neighbor clued us in to the awesome view on the other side of the freeway. I did not even know about the pedestrian bridge over Business 80 until our neighbors led the way.

It's my favorite neighborhood tradition, but we didn't make it this year.

KW said...

We were up there too--sorry we missed you, Becky! My five-year-old was impressed/terrified by the grass fire. (We were going to keep going to the pedestrian bridge for the better view, per Beth's advice, but with kids in tow and the big crowds it proved easier to stay pretty close to the entrance.)

beckler said...

I was chanting USA! USA! But the chant didn't really catch on. Scott said I sounded too sarcastic. Then these crusties started booing and saying down with America and other commie things.

were you guys way down on the tracks? i was wondering how all those people were so confident no train would go through.

KW said...

We were on the tracks, but not very far down, because I was not confident enough that no train would go through. (Though I figured that if one were coming the people behind us would freak out and thus give us plenty of warning.)