Friday, August 06, 2010

official organ of the American Hound Association


The Verge jumble sale was awesome. Scrimshaw pilsner on tap kind of went straight to my dome. Drunk shopping! My favorite thing that I bought was a magazine for coon hound aficionados called "Full Cry". The one I got is from the 80s but I guess it dates back to the 30s . Remember that book "Where the Red Fern Grows"? As a kid I would SOB every time I read it. So I guess that makes me a coon hound aficionado and now I have found my magazine.

Don't forget that Yellow Fever/San Kazagaskar show at The Hub tonight.

OK, so Liv and Skipper and I have scheduled our next trippy film night. We'll have to think of a catchy name for it. Trip Out With Your Dick Out? No, that's no good. Captain Trips presents? It's going to be at The Hub on August 24th (that's a Tuesday) at 7:00 or 7:30 (we'll decide but whatever time we list it will REALLY start then this time) and now it will only be THREE MEASLY DOLLARS. If you are asking yourself why it isn't free since we just netflix the movie the answer is the cost of the Hub rental.

And what are we tripping your shit out with this time? Why only the grandaddy of them all....El Topo! If you're not familiar there will be info to come on what you can expect and what drugs you should be stockpiling to experience it properly. Fun fact about Jodorowsky? He officiated at the wedding of Marilyn Manson and Dita Von Teese.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out what SOB could possibly stand for in relation to "Where the Red Fern Grows". Then I was like, LOL, FML.

-miller

KW said...

Where the Red Fern Grows (second in tear-jerking only to The Bridge to Terabithia) not only provided emotional catharsis, but also imparted the useful information that a raccoon will never drop a shiny item it has clutched in its little paw. So now I know how to trap raccoons with a tin can and some nails.

I haven't used this knowledge yet, but you never know when I might need to.

beckler said...

also: never let a kid run anywhere with an ax. since you're a mom that bit of knowledge will come in handy

Anonymous said...

How did I forget about 'Where the Red Fern Grows'? That book and 'Ol Yeller' were my childhood dog-oriented tearjerker faves. WtRFG author (McKinley Kantor i think?) also wrote some short stories that I remember being really good.

-omf

Anonymous said...

Out in the wilds of Merced County for family fun on a Friday or Saturday night we would load up the hounds and whatever other idiot dogs we had around the place and drive across the street to the enormous farm and ranch, let the dogs go and follow them while they chased racoons and possums. It was always very exciting when they would tree one. We always let them go. Supposedly it was practice for hunting season (bears!) I liked it because we got to ride around in the back of the pickup in our pajamas at night.

Conwad

DJ Rick said...

Fans of Young Marble Giants and Nacho Business, please come check out Yellow Fever tonight at Hub. Brilliant quirky indie pop. Precious, but not overly so.

Anonymous said...

Where the Red Fern Grows is by Wilson Rawls

love,
Beers Books

Anonymous said...

I loved that book. Also Summer of the Monkeys.

I definitely remember reading those on a family camping trip.

wburg said...

El Topo is a mild hallucinogen compared to the massive dose of DMT that is The Holy Mountain...maybe next month?

Anonymous said...

Yawwwwwnnnnn!!! Becks, I'm like 20 minutes away from reading SacRag over here.

-DB

Anonymous said...

Well, I did it. Soooooooo boring!

-DB