Tuesday, September 21, 2010

many many shows

I got to see a room at the Citizen hotel yesterday and man it is niiiiicccceeeeee. Pretty sweet. Nice view of city hall, too. I know I talked shit when it was being developed but I guess it's a cool thing for the city to have. Better than just an office building, anyways.

There are a lot of shows coming up. So many that I'm starting to feel slightly stressed about attending them all, which usually means I will flake out on at least one. Sunday there's a band I'm pretty excited about-Bare Wires. Kind of an Oh Sees protege band, right? Or at least on their label. Also, the return of Nacho Business! I really want to see them. That's Sunday night at the Hub.

Then on Monday, also at the Hub, The Four Eyes are playing with a Siltbreeze band called Mt. Carmel.

The big show is on Wednesday, the 29th, when the legendary Paul Collins (Nerves, Beat) plays....The Hub. Get there early.

Maybe Mati Indian Express' move to Midtown will explain the mystery of this place to me. People RAVE about it yelp, and back when I used to pay a lot more attention to yelp, I visited because of that and didn't get it. I actually was so bummed on the atmosphere that I left and didn't eat there, which sounds crazy when I say it, but makes sense when read that the owner is comparing their business vision with Panda Express.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mati's is mediocre but serviceable. It's no Udupi or Tandoori Nights.

nick

Anonymous said...

Those wild tandoori nights....


-miller

Anonymous said...

Mati's is great!

It's meant for takeout so the atmosphere wouldn't really factor in for me. My only complaint is that the heating trays are lined with plastic, but considering that William Rolle lines his terrines with plastic before cooking them -- and I've overlooked that -- I decided I can overlook it at Mati's.

Also exciting is 7th Street Grille -- super good northern style food. Both are really different from Udupi...what's up with Tandoori Nights???

-MH

Anonymous said...

4eyes set will be 70,s rock or hard rock or 70's hard rock or something. Just incase that was the one you were thinking of skipping

-snoppy

Anonymous said...

amy and i were trapped in Roseville on the east side and there was this Halal joint called Tandoori Nights. we tried it. it was amazing. a strange kinda family style dive totally out of place in the middle of this chic granite bay type shopping mall. the chicken tikka boti were these cubes of tandoori and totally rocked. i'm not saying drive out there, but def worth the stop on the way back from the foothills off i-80. that said, amy keeps begging to drive back. a bunch of indian and pakistani HP families eating there.

http://www.tandoorinights.us/ourmenu.html

nick

Anonymous said...

Looks good, I'll check it out with the in-laws sometime.

-mh

undercover caterer said...

Mati's has good naan. That's about the only appeal I can figure.

Nacho Business is an excellent band name.

Anonymous said...

I've been twice and I think Tandoori Nights is pretty mediocre compared to Sher-e Punjab and Udupi. The one good thing it has going for it is that even the spicy dishes are mild, so it's good for kids and people who don't like the spice.

Sher-e Punjab is kind of a hassle to get to, but their food, service and Bollywood movies are the best. And, there's decent thrifting for miles in Carmichael.

DKK

Liv Moe said...

Okay, I just had lunch at Mati's and I say thumbs up!

The owner was super sweet and the food was spicy and tasty. I got a great samosa, two kinds of curry with rice and naan for 6 bucks. It's independently owned and pandie express style interiors or no I'll be happy to see them join the grid and diversify our food-on-the-go options which currently are made up almost entirely of burritos and sandwiches.

I wish I had been aware of them earlier in my summer long stay in Natomas where the food options are terrible. After reading your Sac Press link I dropped everything and headed over there.

In the area I've been in I have my choice of 4 different fast food chains, an overpriced taqueria with a love for bland pump cheese, and Bel-Air Chinese food. The days I've neglected to bring lunch have stunk!

Anonymous said...

Can't really compare Mati's or any other northern indian, punjab or pakistani place with Udupi. Totally different cuisine.

Bummer the Southern Indian locals couldn't parlay a couple closer dosa joints in during the great crepe craze.

HN