Monday, September 27, 2010

Paul Collins at Phono Select!

Wow, it didn't take long for me to flake on one of the shows. I didn't go see Bare Wires last night because I suck it. However, I will be going to the Four Eyes show tonight come hell or high water.
The really big show is on Wednesday, Paul Collins at the Hub. Have you ever heard the song "hanging on the telephone"? How about the perfect pop song "I don't fit in"? Check out this video. I think I posted this last time I went to see him. Of course, he's older and doesn't look like that but he still has a ton of energy and is an awesome guy and sounds great. He's also going to do a free acoustic set at Phono Select at 730, so check that out, too!!!!


These pictures are kinda dark but you can see that the kids at 11th and U set up a real nice space in their back yard for a folky/acoustic show. It was a lovely evening.

last but not least you guys have all gotten fruit from one of these vendors, right? it's so fucking tasty and such a good a deal. this guy put a ton of lime on it but not a lot of chili, at my request.



8 comments:

beckler said...

I have a question for a piece I'm writing. Does anyone watch Iron Chef? What is Morimoto's personality like? Does it come through? Is he quiet? Stern? What?

sarah said...

sorry! no insight for you on iron chef... but - where is that fruit stand?!!

undercover caterer said...

Morimoto seems serious, but he was on the REAL iron chef in Japan. Much better show, the food network one is stupid. I totally miss the fruit stands, there is one across the street from my old office (49th and Broadway).

Anonymous said...

Morimoto's demeanor is definitely the most "serious" of the bunch, but I think he's actually pretty loose throughout the process. More methodical than serious, he's always got a plan and he knows how to get there--or so it seems. And he manages not to come off as a tool, unlike one or two of the other peeps. He's rarely skewered (har har) during the "judgment" phase, but even when his dishes aren't well received, he never takes the criticism personally and sort of shrugs/laughs it off. I wish the suits behind the show would let him speak for himself, though. They always have some voice over when he speaks, like his accent is too heavy or something. I've seen him speak on other shows and it's not too difficult to understand him.

Also, stoked on Paul Collins' Beat! Last year's show at the Fire Escape was awesome. Gonna double-dip this year for sure.

See you on Wednesday...

Mario S.

beckler said...

thanks for the information!

that particular fruit stand was parked on florin rd. near highway 99. i was on my way back to the freeway after eating at pho tau bay on stockton. i'm not sure if he's always there. i just took a walk in the sun and am totally overheated. i wish i was cooling off with a fruit cocktail.

The Armeniac said...

I think Morimoto is actually the funniest and most charming Iron Chef. He is definitely the cheekiest in terms of food presentation.

beckler said...

why do I have such an aversion to writing "chile"? instead of "chili"? i just always think it's the country and not the hot vegetable.

Anonymous said...

There's a guy who sells that fruit combo in front of my kids' school on Fridays. I wish he had been selling it yesterday and today, when we had record temps of insanity.

DKK