Monday, April 11, 2011

thoroughbreds all

DJing on Saturday with Hailey was really fun. I did get a wee bit too drunk because I was nervous. I hope I wasn't being a turntable hog. Things that bring out my hog side: DJing, karaoke (mic hog), certain illicit substances that I won't name, Lays potato chips.

Wait, what? I actually bought the print edition of the Bee yesterday and instead of a BAR review there were snippets by two local bloggers? Is he on vacation? Has the Bee ever done this before? And what is this Sacramento Connect thing? It's "hosted" by the Bee. What does that mean? I have Monday morning questions. Here's a list of contributors. Wow, Sac's own teenage chowhound is living in Cambodia now!

Do you guys know about squarecylinder.com? It's an arts blog by a locally-based writer who has some impressive credentials. I just heard about it, and I'm stoked to check it out. Here's an oldie but a goody, a review of Biggert's show at the Verge. "Wow", indeed. Is that picture of the girl in the bikini wonderful or what? Her expression, the signs behind her, the dog leash trailing off. Perfect.

Also, check out Amanda's art show at Spanglish. She's got works for sale at reasonable prices including the excellent one pictured above. She's recently joined the thoroughbred stable of Verge artists.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about that Sac Connect thing, it doesn't always play well with Chrome. So I rarely read blogs that are on there.
Also that Poor Girl Eats Well blog is hard to read in Google Reader so I gave her up too.

We use google, we are here, get used to it.

Hopefully BAR is just on vacation, he is the greatest thing about the Bee, even though I was stoked to see this last Monday.
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/04/3525374/if-these-walls-could-talktowers.html

gbomb

beckler said...

Wow, that's great news that the historic preservation commission recognized this as something that should be saved.

BlairRobertson said...

If you can call what I do "work," then, yes, I was on vacation, which is pretty much the same as work except my dogs go for longer hikes in the woods and I don't generally hurt people's feelings.

Anonymous said...

Random cynical guess, SacConnect might be like the ongoing model of publications getting writers/contents from blogs because it's so much cheaper than having FT staff or even freelancers. Hopefully the people who are participating are at least getting compensated for their writing.

undercover caterer said...

No, there's no compensation other than a few wine and cheese type of shindigs. Granted, if they feature your blog you get a few hundred more people stopping by....which for me means I might earn $10 that month instead of merely $7.

I don't really know what it's for to be honest. But the wine and cheese are nice.

beckler said...

Did you guys read BAR's Magpie review? Awesome. Also, that picture of Ed and Janel is too cute. Why aren't those two in all the national food mags? I tried to eat on Magpie on Saturday and it was too crowded so I had to eat at Bernardo.

Did Janel have the baby yet? Have you been to Morants and seen Dirk's daughter yet? She totally hangs out in her babyseat behind the counter. That little girl has sausage running through her veins. Does anyone know the mom's name? The German lady? I have forgotten it.