Friday, October 14, 2011

I suck

I am SO MAD AT MYSELF that I didn't go see Screature last night.  I have no excuse because I even could have come in work late if I wanted to.  Instead, I fell asleep at TEN and came in at the normal time.  Smiller said Screature were really good.  I suck. I hope they play again soon, although if it's on a weeknight I will probably just watch Matlock and fall asleep early.

Verge announced their October screening at the Crest.  Here's the deets:


It Came From Kuchar at the Crest!!  
Thursday, October 27, @7:30
With an Introduction by artist Christine Shields
The Crest Theatre
1013 K Street, Sac
Students $12, Adults $15 
It Came from Kuchar
The Crest Theatre will be teaming up once more with Verge Center for the Arts on October 27 at 7:30 for the next installment of our quarterly film screening.This time around we'll be featuring It Came From Kuchar, introduced by past student of George Kuchar, Christine ShieldsThe film is a hilarious and touching story of artistic obsession, compulsion and inspiration.
Long before YouTube, there were the outrageous, no-budget movies of underground, filmmaking twins George and Mike Kuchar. George and Mike grew up in the Bronx in the 1950's. At the age of twelve, they became obsessed with Hollywood melodramas and began making their own homespun melodramas with their aunt's 8mm camera. They used their friends and family as actors and their Bronx neighborhood as their set. Early Kuchar titles featured in this film include "I Was A Teenage Rumpot" and "Born of the Wind".

In the early 1960's, alongside Andy Warhol, the Kuchar brothers shaped the New York underground film scene. Known as the "8mm Mozarts", their films were noticeably different than other underground films of the time. They were wildly funny, but also human and vulnerable.

Their films have inspired many filmmakers, including John Waters, Buck Henry, Atom Egoyan, Guy Maddin and Wayne Wang (all are interviewed in this film). Despite having high profile fans, the Kuchars remain largely unknown because they are only ambitious to make movies, not to be famous.

"It Came From Kuchar" interweaves the brothers' lives, their admirers, a history of underground film and a "greatest hits" of Kuchar clips into a mesmerizing stream of consciousness tale.
Affectionately directed by one of George's former students, Jennifer M. Kroot, "It Came From Kuchar" will introduce you to the amazing Kuchar brothers - two brothers who love to make movies and continue to inspire others.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what screature is, nor did I know they were doing whatever it is that they do.

Who's Matlock now?

-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

I should've gone. I even stayed up late enough.

Screature is Liz Donner and some dude.

gbomb

Anonymous said...

And a drummer and a keyboardist. Dark, angsty punk wave goodness. (Yes, it was rad!)

NM<

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't hear you over this hotdog.

-N

Sacramento Punk Shows said...

damn -- misread "Kuchar" as "Kumar" -- at least I can hold out for "A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas (in 3d!!!!) which will be out in just a few weeks.

Screature is rad. Didn't see them last night, but I did see Lara Downes do amazing stuff on a piano at the Crocker while old fuckin rude baby boomers spoke on their cell phones and whispered to each other in the auditorium. Fuckin' older generation, somebody ought to kick their ass.

Javalounge is reopening.

DJ Rick said...

Screature are the best band to have debuted live in Sacto this year. Don't feel bad you missed 'em this time, though...I think that I'm their biggest fan, and even I missed it. Just too tuned outta Facebook lately, and that's apparently where all the promotion for this event was until the last minute when it was too late for me. Rumor has it they are giving the live show a rest to focus on recording. But I hope they can just squeeze one show in per month. I mean...what band is too busy for that?

Anonymous said...

i heard the show posters were so rad the promoter had trouble keeping them up in the shop windows

Anonymous said...

I just found that flick at the Library. It was a really nifty documentary. I just hope other people who borrow it are respectful and don't dick up the disc.

Ed