Thursday, July 24, 2014

retrospection

Last day of my 30s! Smiller was joking that I'd wake up to a moving van. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, partially because I have been thinking of myself as 40. JBB said that didn't work for him but it seemed to for me. I am really lucky to be 40 and wake every day with no aches and pains whatsoever and healthy. I am really grateful for that, knock on wood.

It's funny, a couple of people who I told I'm turning 40 have said "congratulations!" Like, for not being dead?

One worry of mine, which is trivial in the grand scheme is that I have some young person interests and I know inevitably I will be too old for them, but then again, my interests have always just shaped over time naturally and it's dumb to worry about stuff like that. I will probably just go to more plays, less clubs. Nothing about DJing or going out or seeing bands and shows makes me feel unwelcome cuz I'm wayyyy older than the other people. At least with seeing bands there are a few people who will probably always go to shows that are older than me, but with rap I am definitely the oldest person at heckarap.

One of the more annoying things about getting old for me is kind of melding together different eras and thinking something is "recent" when it was like 12 years ago. I think that's an aging thing I will probably get used to. It didn't start happening until less than two years ago. It's like 2000 was such a big change that in my mind it will never be that long ago even though it's been 14 years.

As for writing, I'm about 85% over it, but I am excited about the Bee for now. I have a pretty big cocktail piece coming out in the SNR too.  But I'm over the grind and way more stoked on just repeat visits to places I love. Like Whitey's for  my birthday! The Whitey's special and peach shake were like the best I've ever had there. I went with my old lab and it was fun to see this young lady who had just arrived from Italy raving about how delicious  her burger was.

9 comments:

Scott Miller said...

Now you know how Foster feels about 1965.

yolkie said...

zing!

beckler said...

a guy at work just said he has never seen anyone so happily announce they are turning 40.

Anonymous said...

Isn't 40 like the new 30 anyways? That's what I'm telling myself in preparation of the big day. Happy Birthday!
jamattack!

beckler said...

when's yours?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm much younger than you. I won't be 40 until Sept. 17th.
jamattack!

Stephen Glass said...

Happy hecka birthday! Damnit, another visit of mine down there came and went without a Whitey's visit ...

Anonymous said...

Happy belated! I look forward to the day I can be 85% over writing!

NM

beckler said...

LOL nick