Wednesday, July 23, 2014

TBD

So TBD fest. What are your thoughts? Please be kind, brother, because Clay is a friend and I know he is taking an enormous risk. If you follow music in Sac you know he's been putting on concerts for charity for a zillion years and he is doing this because he wants to do something for Sac not to line his pockets.  My thoughts are that I definitely want to see Danny Brown and will likely buy a ticket for just that day and hope that Kurt Vile is that day as well. Besides him, the local peeps, The Pizza Underground (just because of the celebrity angle) and La Sera (who I think are really bland) I haven't heard of anyone. These all seem like young person bands to me, which is not bad and is probably the demographic, but I can't be expected to follow bands with names like ghost beach and beach house. As far as locals, stoked about tiaras and male gaze, and Century Got Bars was also added.

Also: not a festival person. I was tired of Burger Bugaloo by the time it was done and couldn't get drunk because the drinks were so expensive. All the food trucks ran out of food and there were no ins and outs so I was trapped. TBD will have ins and outs.  Local chefs will be preparing food, including Tuohy and Thiemann.

Long story short: will most likely buy one day but they are not offering those for a while. Excited to check it out. Rooting for Clay and his partners.

12 comments:

yolkie said...

I, of course, can't imagine being able to afford a ticket and am also not a festival person. But a part of me wants to go and document it and people watch. It's exciting that such a large event has been organized and I want to support such things continuing to happen. I definitely haven't heard of most of the acts. I am super torn.

beckler said...

I wonder how much a one-day pass will be? I'm guessing 75 bucks. 60 would probably be the low end. I personally blow money on stupid crap that costs more than that all the time, but not everyone does.

AJ said...

I've heard of and like some on the list and have had a good time listening to some new to me names. It's predominantly an up and coming list so I guess that skews younger. I'm hoping the best for Clay as well. Also hoping the West Sac riverfront proves to be a good venue.

DJ Rick said...

I like seeing this level of ambition go into something here. I'll be skipping this due to only liking one band on the bill, but I hope it goes bonkers so that the next one will be bigger and have a side-stage for lower-substrate bands that I might like to see. Or just go bonkers just because.

I can't tell you how much work goes into making a festival of any kind happen. It was exhausting just to plan and promote the ORMF festivals as a group and supported by a bunch of people. Sometimes it was more of a pain to plan it as a democratic group, and I'd see the benefits of planning a festival myself as benevolent dictator. But to personally stick your neck out makes you financially very vulnerable, so I never did it.

So, this takes major guts, and I hope it turns out to be rewarding to Clay.

All the fretting and anxiety our entire group experienced--always exacerbated by slow pre-sale figures--was always dashed the moment we saw people lining up to pay.

beckler said...

which band do you like: is it male gaze or kurt vile?

beckler said...

tiaras? do tell

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of the above. I'm assuming Skaters isn't the same noise band that Smiller is a fan of??

Jed

Unknown said...

You've never heard of Moby?!

We're just too broke to go to anything like this, though I'll bet it'll be fun if lots of good people go. I don't know a lot of the bands either.

Gabba is pumped for Danny Brown.

Scott Miller said...

Jed, no, this is the Skaters that ruined my ebay saved search for the (real) Skaters! I'm curious about this Blondie band.

Shannon said...

I am a huuuge Justice fan. I still can't believe they'll be playing in Sac. Moby was my hs/uni soundtrack so that's a big deal for me too.

Anonymous said...

would Personal and the Pizzas play with any of our bands at witch room or something the night of the pizza underground set?!

-Gabbs

wburg said...

Norcal Noisefest is scheduled the same weekend as TBD, at Luna's Friday and at Witch Room Saturday/Sunday, so I'll miss TBD but there is very little crossover between the two crowds (our Noisefest booth at Launch 2012 was spectacularly unsuccessful) so I'm not worried about it--plus there's the "yes, there are multiple interesting things to do in Sacramento every weekend" factor. But I'm totally supportive of what Clay does and want him to make giant bagfuls of money doing it.