Wednesday, December 28, 2016

everything's on the table

I bought some tickets to a Kings v. Celtics game in Feb. I'm enjoying the little bit o' Kings winning streak. They are pretty much the worst (cheapest) tickets possible, 25 bucks each. I think you can pretty much see anywhere, though.

I won't go into the details, since this is a public forum, and I already told some of you about this in person, but I had a coworker make a questionable, Trump-related comment about MLK day, and after letting it fester for a couple of days, I asked him about it. Let's just say we agreed to disagree, but now it seems like he doesn't like me anymore! I was willing to let bygones be bygones because I said my piece and what else can you do, and he's snubbing me! It's a strange new world we live in, where we can't agree that MLK is a hero. I feel like nothing's a given anymore, everything is on the table. Very disturbing.

Also disturbing was this Martin Amis book I just finished, "The Zone of Influence", loaned by JD. The blackest of black humor and quite good. Based on the enormous amount of research Amis has done on the Holocaust. Told from three points of view: an Auschwitz commandant, a hunky Aryan nephew of Martin Boormann who is tasked with starting a rubber plant fueled by slave labor (which was a real aspect of the camp), and a Jew whose job it is to prepare the victims for the gas (among other terrible duties). Let's just say the buffoonery and familiar human failings of the Nazis are a little too close for comfort right now. I'd recommend it, but might be better to read it in like a year to spare yourself some anxiety.

2 comments:

beckler said...

I used "let's just say" twice in this post. I am acknowledging that here.

beckler said...

I'm pretty sure that sometime in Heckasac's history I had that exact same George Michael pic as the banner.