Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dan and Pedro

I guess I can end my hunger strike now that Dan has a big article in the News and Review this week. That's good because everyone I saw was starting to look like a giant turkey and I tried to bite one of my coworkers a few minutes ago. This article is great, and I like how it's not an unqualified rave about every movie. I am very, very excited that these Almodovar films are coming to Sac. This is the kind of film event that should be happening all the time but never does. I am viewing this as an opportunity to understand why everybody gets so worked up over these movies and I will be going intot the theater with an open mind. Funny thing is, I think I've seen every movie mentioned except two or three and I still don't get what the big deal is. But I'll try.

Lets' talk about the weekend. That might be depressing because it's only thursday but I want to make sure you don't forget about another movie series, Shiny Objects at Fools Foundation. It's friday at seven, it costs five bucks (cheap) Here's the description, sounds good:

10/13 Independent America: The Two Lane Search for Mom & Pop
These days, you have to go out of your way if you want to do business with Mom & Pop. One couple has taken that notion a little bit farther, 13,000 miles farther to be exact. Independent filmmakers and award-winning journalists, Hanson Hosein and Heather Hughes, take the road less traveled in a thought provoking new documentary, which uncovers the growing opposition to big box retail across the U.S. and the often desperate fight being waged by independent retailers to stay alive. Independent America: The Two Lane Search for Mom & Pop is an entertaining account of Hosein and Hughes’s expedition through 32 states as they look for an America unchained by corporate retail. Self-imposed road rules bar them from major highways and corporate chain retail. Traveling on alternative roads, the duo can only do business with Mom & Pop.
What the filmmakers find during their travels is the re-emergence of independent retail as individuals and communities band together to preserve not only their livelihoods but also their local communities. Pockets of resistance across the country add up to a nationwide opposition: Starbucks is vandalized in Colorado. Supporters of an anti-big box law in Arizona are compared to Nazis. A rebellious Texan city forces Borders Books into retreat. Patriotic residents of America’s "Fourth of July" capital in Nebraska start to turn on their new super center. And an entire town in Wyoming goes into business for itself after it’s abandoned by its chain department store.

After that, get your folk on with the excellent Wooden Wand. Starts at ten at Fools. No cracks about freak folk anybody! It's one of the only things going these days so get with the program.

Wooden Wand is playing again on saturday at Delta of Venus, which will probably be a great show.

5 comments:

DB said...

Thanks for the plug, Becks. Sorry about disrupting your eating habits. Have some kufta on me.

Anonymous said...

But becky, I feel that my cracks about freak folk are one of the only things going and perhaps you should get with the program.

let me add its not cracks about the music I am making, its everything else.

haters gotta hate.
-natalie.

Cody said...

speaking of DB, where the hell is the barnesyard? when i go it takes me to the top web results for "db poker."

p.s. does anyone know if the period goes inside or outside the quotation mark at the end of that sentence?

Anonymous said...

Cooter,

that's what happens when you delete a blogspot blog apparently, the smam squatters come and take over the space. It's very Matrixeque.

DB said...

Yeah, I wish I knew that ahead of time. I just changed the URL, thinking I could change it back at any time. Oh well. At any rate, it hasn't been deleted, but don't expect any updates anytime soon.