Tuesday, October 31, 2006

yay-DVS

Wow, Breton really let the Maloofs have it in this column, but at this point, could any sane person disagree?

Let's talk for a minute about KDVS. It is such a great community resource and such a gathering place for people who are instrumental in the Sac/Davis musical world (note: I didn't say scene). I don't listen nearly as much as I should, but I frequently go to shows that are organized by people who are either directly involved with KDVS now or were in the past. And of course you can stream past shows if you can't get the signal or can't listen at the time. Soriano has a show, Larry has a show, This Week in Science is always funny and informative, Cool As Folk plays some great stuff and always has interesting guests., Brendan has an eclectic show (look, the Megacools!) and books rad shows at the Delta of Venus, the young firebrand Heather Klinger has a show and there's more! Also, the KDVS record swap is this sunday at Fools from 9-3.

7 comments:

beckler said...

ha! i got a hit for "hip edgy lofts"

Anonymous said...

KDVS rules this ball of dirt. They have provided so much support for the Noisefest, as only one of their various supportings of the local musical world (avoiding the S-word) for, lo, these many decades.

Josh Nice said...

i owe everything i am to KDVS. in seventh grade, in like 1983, i was listening to music like culture club and new edition. then one night, as i was setting my clock radio, i happened upon a sound that blew me into a million pieces. some KDVS dj was playing a whole album by lee perry. the next day i went to the beat and bought my first reggae record. within a couple of weeks KDVS had turned me on to the Lyres, X, and the clash. long may it reign!

Anonymous said...

I love KDVS, too, but it seems like everytime I turn it on the dj is playing some really bad folk or hillbilly music. I think KDVS has caught the dreaded freak folk virus.

Anonymous said...

Smitty:

Weekdays in the morning, it's all a haze until I get to work and the nurses give me an IM of vitamins and Adderall (thank god I work at a psych ward!) to get me moving, so I can't say exactly when I've heard the hillbilly music, but it is definitely early in the morn (7am or earlier)

Anonymous said...

Livin` in the Rising Sun it`s awesome that Kdvs put the shows on the internet for loading up.I had some heepin` wantin` for some soul music and just found my need from the Kdvs...Kumamoto stations are crap and my shortwave is better with some chinese and korean tunage.Actually on Sundays the public station isn`t have bad with minyo(drinking songs)and Taiko.My Shortwave radio is awesome it`s big,old and radiates me..Get the Snacks Yet???take care---jay

I wish i could download and keep the shows throw them on a cd-r..I have a analog recorder but that a little slow...

Anonymous said...

i love this week in science, as well as crazy jeff kravitz who has good guests and radio parallax which is as good a political talk show as on any other station.. better than most actually. i just wish they had less freeform hippies and more structured stuff.