Friday, October 06, 2006

that's supposed to be a vibe-o-meter


Midtown monthly is looking to hire some more people, and they employ me so you can tell they'll hire almost anyone. Here's the info:

Hey Sacramento People,
The Midtown Monthly is looking for writers and photographers. The mag is in transition, and starting to focus on the cool shit going on in and around Sacramento. Hopefully, the magazine can help cultivate a little more awesomeness -- more bands the basement, more venues, more fucking in the streets. The new issue is out now, with Fools Foundation on the cover, an article on Noisefest, and one on the future of Records on K. It's a work in progress, and only you can make it better.We're looking for people to write about anything and everything. And we're always interested in the photos from your drunk night out. If you're a scribbler or a shutterbug, and you need the world to discover your genius, shoot me an email: monthlies@capitolweekly.net
Keep Hope alive,
Anthony

Now on to other business: You missed out on the Finches show last night. How do I know? Because I was there and Sac was not representing with the exception of Baby Neon who was so stoked that he (or is it she) was clapping from inside the womb. And Larry Rodriguez of course (no, not from inside the womb), but that's a given at any show. I'm not trying to guilt you here but let me just say a fun time was had by all. I can't put my finger on what gives the shows at Delta of Venus vibes that are off the vibe-o-meter but they are usually like that. Bands always seem to remark that it's their favorite show of tour, which gives you a warm glow inside. This guy, Al Duvall played and was quite entertaining in a very old-timey way. The Finches have an awesome new song on their myspace (last favor), check it. I think it's simon and garfunkle-y.

Sooo.....OpResMaxFreeFour is on saturday. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow so it should be fun, but with the exception of th' losin' streaks' I have never heard any of the bands so I can't say yay or nay.

6 comments:

beckler said...

someone hit heckasac googling for deep fried smores. sir or madam i would like to remind you that i have patented that idea so you'll be hearing from my lawyer, H. Salt, Esq.

Anonymous said...

i'm sure there's someone out there who can provide more information, but there was an ad in yesterday's Bee regarding an Armenian food festival tomorrow (Saturday).

leon said...

Baby Neon is a boy!

From my experience of being on tour, I can totally see how DoV would be a "best" stop on a [West Coast] tour. Packed crowd of impressionable college kids with a positive attitude, willing to give any band a fair shot. Beer. Food. I wish there was a place with the same kind of vibe in Sacto. Fools Foundation is great and all, but I'm still not feeling it yet. I hate to live in the past, but Espresso Metro was still the last great venue in Sac.

leon said...

It was cool that someone from KDVS left those comps at DoV last night featuring bands playing ORMF IV. Nice preview.

werenotdeep said...

I can't explain why I wasn't there last night, especially since the show was practically taylored for me and I wasn't working.

I had something to take care of, and I didn't know about Al Duvall (though the finches alone was enough reason for me to want to go) that's all I can say.

Anonymous said...

Damn Finches keep playing shows here when I can't go. I think I've missed their last 3 times in the area. OMF#4 should rule. Kudos to Brendo/Rick/Crew for pulling it together again!

-Jed