Wednesday, October 31, 2007

fuck roseville dining

Believe it or not, the reason I didn't post yesterday is that blogger wouldn't upload my screen captures from the Woody Allen movie "Interiors". I was surprised to find when I started watching this movie that I had seen it before, probably in the last couple of years. Maybe I was stoned when I watched it? It's pretty Bergman-y, but without the intense shock of Bergman, even though he tries to bring it at the end. I mostly enjoyed it for the interiors (duh) and the clothes. The costumes were done by Joel Schumacher,, later director of such gems as St. Elmo's Fire.

Here are the three sisters, looking very beige.
Here's cutie Diane Keaton sporting a horrible grown out perm. I remember my mom often having this style. She would get perm after perm, hate each one, let it grow out, and then get another one. I wonder if perms will ever come back big? Answer: someday.
Young Sam Waterson was very cute, especially in contrast to Keaton's husband, the slimy bearded guy who tries to rape her sister. I just checked imdb. His name was Richard Jordan, and he died in 1993.

Here, the mousy sister (Mary Beth Hurt) is wearing a coat that I covet. There is a lot of curly hair peeking out.
And, on an irritating note, here is a terrible, terrible article from the Bee about a new restaurant in Roseville. Another b.j. for big business. This time a big business from the jerkoff who foisted P.F. Chang's on the world. They don't even mention the food until almost the end, it's clearly not the priority. This kind of shit drives me nuts. Here's a representative quote:
"We're building (another restaurant) just down the street right now," Platt said. "Prime steaks and Hawaiian seafood. Dinner only. Very high end. It's going to be the most expensive restaurant to ever hit Northern California. And we have another restaurant planned after that."
Isn't that cool that it's going to be the most expensive?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, nothing screams "upscale" like having a background with Chevy's and Mimi's Cafe. Also, their description sounds like buzzword bingo with shoehorning both organic and urban loft in there. Although given that part of town, faux Tuscan villa would've been more appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Sam Waterson was so cute there! I didn't think he was that attractive in "Great Gatsby," but then he was standing next to Robert Redford in his prime.

My #1 "wish I could've hit that back then" crush is probably always gonna be Elliot Gould in "The Long Goodbye."

beckler said...

Everyone likes a guy who's into his cat, right? And think of all the hot things that he'd mumble!

beckler said...

looks like Charles Myers of Harbor winery is retiring. I really want to try that Mision del Sol from '86 once he bottles it.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/dining/archives/008795.html#comments_here

Anonymous said...

Why get bent out of shape about those people behind the Rose Curtain? I mean, let 'em have all the soulless fake-ass high-end dining joints they want -- more places where they can blow their dough. I mean, Roseville is best avoided, right? At least I try to stay away from there outside of driving through it.

Beckler, I think you secretly would like to be a Botox'd, fake-nails, Mercedes coupe-driving orange-tan Republican with a posh Granite Bay address. Am I far off the mark here?

Grwffydd

Anonymous said...

The article was in the business section...not the food section...just a thought...

Anonymous said...

how do they mean "most expensive"? I mean, in which context, the food, or the building of the restaurant and the decor itself?

Why it would be considered a sales point in the restaurant industry as a whole either way is beyond me...

-wingnut a.

Anonymous said...

"Beckler, I think you secretly would like to be a Botox'd, fake-nails, Mercedes coupe-driving orange-tan Republican with a posh Granite Bay address. Am I far off the mark here?"

Define 'mark'. Was the mark you were aiming for a joke of some sort? Beckler's a little bit un-nerved by conspicous consumption, is that alright? People like that restauntosauris she writes about drain our world of resources and encourage more wasting of more resources. Seems ok,even almost productive, to bash it.
She probably wouldn't mind a mercedes of course;they are nice cars.But, she certainly is in no need of botox and has perfectly fine nails.

Anonymous said...

Armeniac, twas a joke, already. Beckler's aversion to South Placer faux-Tuscan Villa "culture" is quite apparent from what she writes. And, as somebody who recently got dragged to a business lunch at P.F. Chang's, I'd think anyone who truly loves food and a good dining experience would be put off by these business plans that masquerade as restaurants.

Still, point taken that this article appeared on the Bee's business page. Which is probably where it belonged.

Grwffydd

beckler said...

everyone knows that botox is over, restylane is where it's at.