Tuesday, October 09, 2007

someone should have told me

How come no one told me the Fevers are the best? I'm so behind the times. And Mario put out one of their records?

There's a house show tomorrow that is going to be really good. Why? I'm not sure, but I'm going to go anyway. Here are the details on it.

I missed the Aguirre screening and instead stayed home (after a decidedly bland and lackluster meal at Shoki Ramen House, they really let me down this time) and watched a collection of Herzog shorts. The first one, The Great Ecstasy of the sculptor Steiner (which is a hilarious example of Herzog trying to impose his own ideas on the documentary he made about ski jumping, he only show the guys sculptures for 2 seconds), about Steiner is fucking amazing, with really stirring music by Popol Vuh

Here's Walter Steiner, he's very self-effacing yet a complete badass
Here's Werner!
There are tons of super slo-mo shots of people flying on skis, and some harsh sl0-mo crashing.
It ends with Steiner reading a poem that he supposedly wrote about lying naked on a rock, and I guarantee you that Herzog wrote it.
The next movie is about the 1976 world championships of auctioneering, and though it goes on too long (30 minutes of listening to that nasally, auctioneering type of voice as they auction cattle) it was still really good and it was quite emotional at the end because they guy who wins is so stoked.
The third short is Herzog and his crew on some small Caribbean island that has been evacuated due to a volcano that is about to erupt and is spewing poisonous gases, so of course as soon as he about it he rushed right there. At one point he supposedly has to flee from a descending poisonous cloud, but I think he might be exaggerating.

5 comments:

fft said...

WTF Aguirre screening???

archbishop said...

Showed it last night at work around 8:45pm in Davis. I tend to play movies I netflix on the Big Screen Sunday and/or Monday nights. Problem is, you have to watch what I want to watch, so I never talk about it.

Anonymous said...

The first Fevers record is fucking amazing. Everyone should own it. Actually, everything they do is great.

-- Patrone

beckler said...

the b side on that plastic idol record is a perfect, less than two minute, gem of a song.

HK said...

The Fevers totally rule! I'm with Patroney- the first one is the best- Mario and I fight over that, though. He thinks the 2nd is better. The first is called “Gaan Daar Waar de Meisjes Zijn”. I reviewed both records for my own blog and Midtown Monthly.

I think Mario still have a few for sale of the LPs on Alien Snatch! Check out his site www.plasticidolrecords.com to see!

yay for geeking out.

-hk