Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cookies!

This cookie is the bomb! It's a crispy almond butter cookie.
It's safe to say the Scandinavians know cookies.
Here's the recipe. The "frosting" is kind of weird, it's just really melted butter with almonds. I think I would skip the frosting next time and just put chopped almonds into the cookies. And don't pay attention to the cooking time, just watch for the edges to get brown. The key to the deliciousness of the cookie is the oatmeal (I used whole oats) drenched in warm butter at the beginning. The butter softens the oats up so you just get a slight hint of the flavor and texture of an oatmeal cookie.
for dinner yesterday I had the same thing everyone else did
corned beef from Taylors. So good!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I don't eat corned beef and cabbage more often. It's so good!

-H Conway Esq

beckler said...

Scott and I were saying the same thing. It's economical, and good for sandwiches or hash as leftovers. And I like the cabbage in the corned beef juice almost as much as I like the meat.

DJ Rick said...

Anyone ever had it at Brownie's Lounge? It's a weekly special, but I forget which day of the week. The vinyl banner out front touts it as "world famous". I'm usually leery of that kinda chest-beating, but I do remember my club sandwich there as the best I've had anywhere, so I'm willing to bet it's pretty great.

Anonymous said...

Brownie's Lounge sounds extremely promising.

I want the recipe to whatever that is on the cover of that cookbook

Anonymous said...

oh, oops, the above was me, JD

beckler said...

Hey JD-
I'll snap it for you and post it. Here's a pickled fish recipe courtesy of Mark Miller from a past article of mine. Next time you come to Sac I'll make it for you!

http://www.midtownmonthly.net/feb09/miller.html

HK said...

That cookie looks amazing!!

Liv Moe said...

Oh Brownie's... I haven't been there since the Kitten Kats disbanded. My relocation of Brownie's is foggy though happy overall including the CBNC.

Captcha = beatchy

Liv Moe said...

make that recollection... jeez

Anonymous said...

Brownies does the corned beef on Thursdays. For some reason most places that have a weekly corned beef special does it on Thursdays. Distillery, too, I think. Also, Brownies does a bomb French Dip sandwich on Fridays. And, fwiw, you can get the corned beef and the French dip as either a plate or sandwich.