Friday, March 19, 2010

last post for a bit

I want to tell you about a show NEXT Friday (the 26th). It's got a cracking good lineup. It's Record Club at the Blue Lamp. Pants Yell, Summer Cats, English Singles, Eux Autres, and Brown Recluse. Total Slumberland show.

Movies on a Big Screen has a pretty interesting-sounding documentary going on this Sunday. It's called Herpers and it's about people who are into reptiles. Here's the description from the website.

It is estimated that there are 13 million pet reptiles in the United States alone. That means that approximately 4% of households in the country houses a least one reptile, some have even more. In fact, there are even a few who have achieved quite a wealth with their reptile breeding programs. These people are known as "Herpers" stemming from the word Herpetology: the study of reptiles and amphibians. Still, the fact remains that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who are reptile fanatics, and those who have no idea that ther are people in the world who are, in fact, reptile fanatics. Herpers is a feature-length documentary for them both, produced by the multiple award-winning filmmaker, Dav Kaufman who fits proudly in the former category. Herpers takes us from coast-to-coast from the forests of Virginia to the skyscrapers of Chicago to the hills of Hollywood and all points in between in search of this unique reptile culture. We visit with Reptile Breeders, Enthusiasts, and Celebrity Herpers alike in this entertaining, funny, and sometimes peculiar investigation into not only one of the most misunderstood creatures on our planet, but the "Herper": the most misunderstood people on our planet as well.

It's this Sunday at the Guild, 7:30 pm. Five bucks. CHEAP!

Here's my first attempt at no-knead bread. It's pretty funky looking! It got stuck to the tea towel, which was gross and maybe ruined my tea towel. I'm still not quite sure about no-knead bread. I like kneading, and also I have found it to be harder to find a time that's convenient to let bread sit for 12-18 hours and then for another two hours than to just clear 6 hours to make regular bread. I ended up letting this bread rise for almost 24 hours because of that. But the advantage to the no-knead for those who like it is the texture, right?
Babs in jail!
I won't be posting next week cuz I'll be in a California Gold vacation.

10 comments:

Charles Albright said...

What did she do! Look there is no proof she has been using Scott's records as a scratching post! That could be any cat that lives in the house.

beckler said...

look, you bleeding heart liberal-some cats are just born bad.

It's making me laugh that on the Die Antwoord website on their 20 fun facts about die antwoord that one of them is "yo-landi now has 4 rats in total, and one of them is pregnant"

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the no-knead trend -- half the fun of making bread is in being able to work with your hands and get out some frustrations. Going the no-knead route (or using a bread machine) just isn't the same.

fft said...

FREE BABS!

Anonymous said...

I am still a fan of the no-knead.
The less I touch bread the better it is.
Also lazy,
I make it on a friday night.
Let it rise until I get up.

-Natalie.

Anonymous said...

there was no knead for this post.

captcha: imenth. (another way of thaying wiwwy warge.)

-chapstick

beckler said...

there is no-knead for snotty comments. unless i make them.

natalie's no knead bread is better than my kneaded bread.

i knead to go home and make some bread now. talk to you in a while.

lates.

Anonymous said...

Knead-deep in the Hooplah!

-W

BC said...

I make the no-knead bread a lot because I am lazy, but we ditched the tea towel in favor of parchment paper because otherwise you lose half the dough. My favorite version is the almost no-knead version from Cook's Illustrated. The whole wheat version is even better.

Dillon said...

"The Best of Bread" is all I knead