Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Be vewy vewy quiet

If you like your prose purple, here's a big gulp. I'm going to one of the new wine bars tomorrow? Which one, I'll let the readers decide. Who cares doesn't count as a vote. I also get to go to the Waterboy! Sweet. I think there may be some rabbit bolognese in my future.
Speaking of rabbit, non-squeamish meat eater that I am, I love to see that weird looking whippet-like shape of the rabbit in the meat counter at Taylors. I plan to cook one up soon. I made cornish game hens from there the other day and I was plotzing at how good they are, and so cheap! Here's how I cooked them:

take a lemon and roll it around on the counter top and poke it with a fork, after a little foreplay, gently ease it inside the birds cavity.
rub the skin lovingly with salt and pepper and shove some herbs under the skin, i used sage
roast breast up, I did it for an hour at 350, times and temps seem to vary alot in recipes I've seen, the point is it's quick and you don't want to overcook it
serve with stuffing because people don't eat enough stuffing!

Part of my next article is a quest for edible uni in Sac, are there any other uni lovers out there who can point me in the right direction? And don't say Zen Toro, it already failed the gag test.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know its not Sac, but a girl I work with swears the uni at a sushi place in Folsom is terrific. I could get the info if you want it. She is a cook and really into food.

Anna

beckler said...

yes please, if I have time by deadline I might be able to check it out.

Liv Moe said...

While i'm not the biggest uni fan in the world my $.02 are to stay away from the evil fish hut on 16th and J and head straight for Hana Tsubaki. Yummy fresh everything and awesome interiors with a limited TV presence.

Anonymous said...

the uni at kru is usually pretty good
-greg

beckler said...

thanks, that's a good tip. i forgot about kru! i think i might trek out to folsom on tuesday and try the place anna is talking about

Anonymous said...

-Ben

Anonymous said...

I back up the Kru suggestion. That place is totally pleasant! The uni is somewhere in the middle of the uni range---not all snotty, but not super fresh and firm either. The nigiri is presented especially beautifully, with pickled wasabi on the side. This is the fourth time I've tried to post this comment, which makes me seem like an old man. Do I need to use cookies?

-Ben

beckler said...

mmm..cookies.

by the way, I am deep in the grips of the avian flu and will be leaving work for the day shortly. I can't wait to see the TV movie that is made from the story of my heroic battle with this crippling disease.

Anonymous said...

Have you already made the rabbit? I have a terrific Ligurian recipe for Rabbit with Almonds, which actually has a mix of almonds, hazlenuts, pinenuts and a lot of fresh herbs in the sauce.

My little cooking bible recommends drinking Rossesse or Dolcetto for a red or Vermentino for a white when eating rabbit.

Whatever you end up doing, please post about it. I'm curious to hear how it turns out.

beckler said...

I haven't made it yet, but I know everyone always does rabbit with mustard sauce at restaurants. Can you send me your recipe? I'll try it. I just ordered a digital camera so soon I will be able to post pictures of crap like that for the few that care to see it.

werenotdeep said...

That was actually not such a bad article. It started out looking like it might be kind of pretentious, but it was pretty kosher. Thanks for that link, since I'm not so great at making efforts to find stuff like that by myself.

werenotdeep said...

Wow. I screw up the verification code for entering a comment on here about as often as I get it right, and yet, somebody posting a spam comment on here that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, and that contains the phrase "...is very interesting and is really good written." got through. Huh...I need to go re-think some things, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I've been looking for a well-written treatise on bongs, glass or ceramic, along with other 4:20-related literature. I'd also like to hear field recordings of the bubbling sounds that some of these bongs make, subdivided of course by various factors: material of manufacture, ethnographics of user, geographic origin of herbal matter combusted, rate of combustion, et cetera. I think this might make for some fascinating toilet reading. Better, in fact, than Mark Trail or Apartment 3-G.