Monday, March 05, 2007

boring hangover story

Even though I wanna go there hecka bad someday, guess where I'm glad I'm not going on wednesday? Korea. After a saturday night excusion to Korea House and Rurulala for JG's birthday I never want to see another short rib, dish of kimchee, or ESPECIALLY bottle of sochu ever ever ever again. During the dinner (split a sake, then drank two Hite beers) I kept having the internal dialogue where I wanted to turn to Natalie and say "I'm drunk" and then I would tell myself in my head "the fact that you want to say that means you need to stop drinking" and then we got our room in Rurulala and I proceeded to suck down untold amounts of sochu, which unbeknownst to me is about twenty percent alcohol and then at some point I drank a shot of Hennessey, I think. I know that I sang Total Eclipse of the Heart but I do not actually remember singing it, so I apologize if it was earsplitting and/or if I was completely hogging the mic as I suspect. Yesterday was a very bad day, but whatever went on in my house is between me and Steve and if Steve doesn't say nothin', then I'm not saying nothin'.

I assume that the Bananas were allowed to enter Japan with their smuggled-in merch because I have not gotten a call to the contrary. They are probably rocking Tokyo as I write this.

8 comments:

Josh Nice said...

careful, last time i asked stevie b to keep a secret for me, that shit was all over town in no time.

Alice said...

i drank a shit load of sochu last time i was there thinking it was like a lemon flavored cider or something. little did i know. it wasn't until 6 months later that i found out how much alcohol was in that thing and it explained away many of my embarrassingly bad performances that night. btw, total eclipse is a must do when you hit the karaoke joint.

beckler said...

we closed the evening out with a pass around the mid version of we are the world. i seem to remember shrieking into the mic. then i tried to force gw to say "i don't understand japanese" in japanese. nihon-go wa wakarimasen!

beckler said...

uh, "mic" not mid

Anonymous said...

Don`t forget to use "sumimasen" then folks will call your japanese "jozu"then say"arigato"you`ll get plenty of smiles.Last night i found a wine called "vita vino"at hello!everyone.--alot of fruit juices with bubbly pop wine!!!It`s Frizzy and i couldn`t tell what fruit i could taste the most.It tasted like top shelf tang with wine in it.I won`t be able to the see Banana`s..Watashi wa totemo isogashii desu.I`m sure they`ll have tons of fun(tanoshii).One of fliers i saw for a show called them sad poppy punk...

beckler said...

sad poppy punk! that's the best. that sucks you can't go but we were looking at a map of japan the other night and i see you live pretty far from anywhere they are playing. thanks for all the tips. kudasai.

Wendy Sue R. said...

I want to know more about Rurulala. I have a group of people who are interested in checking it out...

beckler said...

jeez, imagine how dumb i felt when i realized that i got the five words i know in japanese mixed up and said "please" instead of thank you. i'm gonna do great there.

rurulala is the best, besides the fact that you always get wasted. you can eat dinner at korea house before and reserve a room over there. it works out to be like ten bucks apiece (without the booze) for hours of singing. private rooms for just about any size groups.