Tuesday, March 27, 2007

make it a sad, sad night

I'll admit it, I went to Blockbuster last night for the first time in forever. It is just a few blocks from my house so I caved. It's so depressing there (good overheard quote, though: I love the title of Running With Scissors, but I don't think I'll like the movie) and somehow our non new release rental of some Curb Your Enthusiasm Episodes was five bucks! Huh? Long story short, they had some print copies of the Sacramento Union there. Have you seen it? It looks just like the Onion (the online edition doesn't but the print edition looks exactly like it) and sometimes it seems like you're reading it. For instance. They keep dredging up Twain's legacy there in a disturbing way and pulling quotes out of context.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase the late, great Molly Ivins on Pat Buchanan, I think the Sacramento Union reads better in its original German.

KLJ said...

Wow. I should apply as a columnist. "You ever notice, cars sometime break down, and usually when you need 'em?"
See, I'm a natural.

That's SOOO bad. I'll have see what they're doing with Twain, my favorite peace loving atheist.

Anonymous said...

It's far, far to easy to alter the masthead to say The Sacramento Onion. I think it took a sharpie & about 3 seconds.

-miller

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I heard the Sacramento Union reads better as an ad supplement in SN&R ...

Anonymous said...

Confusing? Check.
Anonymous? Check.

-miller

Anonymous said...

It'll make sense in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Ah, now I'm intrigued....

-miller

werenotdeep said...

Wow. I can't wait to see the public access broadcast.

wburg said...

The new Union is great for unintentional hilarity, but the humor gets old really, really quickly. I pick it up once in a while but within five minutes of reading it, something pisses me off enough to make me set it back down.

Fortunately, once Records on K gets relocated to Broadway, they will start up a DVD rental section. Feel free to talk to Kevin about what kind of movies you'd like to see there. I just flat-out refuse to go to Buckblaster and they don't carry the kind of goofy crap I'd want to rent anyhow.